Clematis ID, please

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi there. I am thinking that I want to get one more clematis, and found this one, but haven't been able to put a name to the pic. Can you guys help me with that? Thanks so much!

Thumbnail by funnthsun

I found out what this guy is, it is named Bourbon. I was thinking about grouping this guy with Rebecca on a trellis that is about 5 feet tall and and 5 or 6 feet wide. I know that Bourbon is a more compact clematis, but I thought they would blend well together. What do you guys think?

Also, I have a few questions so that my clematis can have the best possible chance. I have other clematis but have really not done a lot of extra maintenance on them, not knowing their special needs until now. My question is can I use a layer of Black Cow in the spring or does Clematis need something more than that as a fertilizer?

Thanks!

This message was edited Mar 27, 2010 8:49 AM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It's really such a personal decision. I'd match the yellow center for another clematis but there are so many options. You can find many Evison online.

I'm just guessing that Black Cow is manure. Generally in spring I put down 5-10-5, half a 40 pound bag of manure and then top it with compost for each clem. Some people add lime and others add Epsom Salts, which I do use (it's not salt but magnesium and calcium) and then water it well.

This message was edited Aug 16, 2010 3:38 PM

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes..that is definitely Clematis "Bourbon" one of Raymond Evison's Patio Collection. I like a contrast myself so they are both bold and delicious together..Might I suggest Clematis "Anna Louise"?..Jeanne
http://www.raymondevisonclematis.com/main/product.asp?productID=17

How much epson salts for each clem? I have crocosmia, rozanne cranesbill, and coreopsis close by. Do you know if the salts will be OK close to them? Do you just mix the salts in with the manure, then put it down?

Sorry for all of the questions, but this one's new to me! I am an echinacea nut and have tons of other perennials but am kicking myself for never checking on clematis special needs.

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi funnthsun, my crocosima does not like any fertilizer, I don't know about epsom salts. I would favor the other plants for epsom salts.

One tablespoon of Epsom Salt to a gallon of water will provide the plants with magnesium and calcium. It's also used for roses. It won't hurt plants.

Interesting to hear about the crocosmia since I've never heard of it before this. I found this article interesting as I do have many crocosmias here to plant. Look under the paragraph, "Cultivation". http://www.maureenswatercolors.com/Article_by_David_Fenwick_on_Crocosmia.html

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Pirl, everytime I fertilize my crocosima lucifer the leaves turn brown. I would use the blue 20-20-20 miracle grow and more than once the leaves have turned brown. They are fine without any fertilizer in my yard. Maybe a more organic approach would help them. I've had them for seven years and they still multiply without fertilizing. So if your leaves turn brown, try cutting back on your fertilizer.

Organic is what was mentioned in the article I liked to above. I'm not big on fertilizing but thanks for the good advice. For the majority of my plants it's just our compost they get.

Cartersville, GA

Jeanne, I LIKE your suggestion of pairing "Bourbon" with "Anna Louise". We have Bourbon coming in April. Now, I need to find Anna Louise! Thanks for the suggestion.

Doris

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Doris...Donahue's has Clematis "Anna-Louise"
http://www.donahuesclematis.com/premium.html

Cartersville, GA

Jeanne, I have already sent Angie at Donahue's an email this afternoon to see if they still have it available. I already have 12 coming from them, 5 from Brushwood, and 20 from SimplyClems. We already have about 20 that we have had from 3 to 20+ years. You could say that I have gone "clem crazy". I see no reason to wait and buy when they can start growing this year, and we can enjoy them now and for years to come.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

You have just "hit on" my opinion..the SOONER I can get them in the ground..the Sooner that 3 year period is over!!..I want 'em all and I want 'em now..LOL...Obsession is always good when it hurts no one else..and I take pride in my Obsession with Clematis..it makes me a joyous person..make this ugly world more beautiful and above all else it brings pleasure to those who look upon them....You go girl!!..Jeanne
ps...If I was to divulge how many I have you'd be shocked!!

Cartersville, GA

It is perfectly okay to indulge (and even overindulge) in something like this. It does not hurt anyone else and brings us great joy. The bills still get paid and there is food in the house! We have worked, saved, and denied ourselves for years, and now it's time to spend some of that money. The kids will get enough when we leave this earth for our heavenly home. There is much joy to be had on this earth, and for us it is in the form of flowers. If we can create our own "little bit of Heaven" on this earth at our home, we can find beauty, peace, and serenity here and feel close to God in the garden. I know that I will be adding more clems next year as I see more pictures posted here. Maybe visitors to our garden (we are an AHS Display Garden with almost 2000 registered daylilies) will get turned on to clematis, too!

We also have 2000 daylilies (hundreds are registered) but most are our own hybridized plants - some over 10 years old and are actually huge clumps,divided many times for others.

More and more daylilies will find new homes this year due to the deer destruction that breaks my heart but it does make room for a lot more clematises and Jeanne is certainly an inspiration of the highest caliber. Jeanne allows us to see what can be done and clematis beauties we may not have considered are shown so beautifully with her photography skills.

Cartersville, GA

I saw Jeanne's pictures of Omoshiro. What a beauty! It is on my list to buy next year UNLESS I give in and buy it now which is a distinct possibility. I am enjoying this forum. I am looking forward to more pictures as everyone's clematis begin to bloom.

I also love Omoshiro!

Thumbnail by pirl
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Pirl..your Pic of the Big "O" is OUTSTANDING..how old is yours??..Mine was planted last year and I eagerly await her maturity!!!...Jeanne

Cartersville, GA

OK, that settles it! I have to find Omoshiro for this spring.

Thanks, Jeanne. It was planted in October of 2007 as a small plant and you can see how well it has grown since it was a year and a half old in the photo I posted.

Cass - Jeanne did say they are addictive!

Thumbnail by pirl
Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Casshigh, If you can't find Omoshiro, check with Debbie at Silver Star Vinery and she might be able to find you one!

Cartersville, GA

Thank you.

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

No problem! my pleasure. Debbie doesn't list everything she has. She has quite the inventory. No harm in asking!!

Cartersville, GA

I checked Debbie's site and it was not listed. Brushwood has Omoshiro but is sold out for now. I have put my name on Brushwood's list and will be notified when it is in stock. I have several coming from Brushwood in April. I realize that may be fall or even next spring. At least I will be getting it eventually. I can't believe it will be April tomorrow, and it is finally looking like spring here!!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Cass..I put my name on his waiting list a week ago too!!..Hopefully he'll have some for late summer/early fall shipping..I love planting clematis in fall..since I have very wet winters..they flourish and grow big roots over the winter...Jeanne

Cartersville, GA

It would be wonderful to get it in the fall and allow the roots time to grow for next spring and summer. I have plenty of new ones coming in April that I will not miss Omoshiro and will have something special to look forward to next spring.

OK, I need a little help from you guys, if you don't mind.

I received my Bourbon about a week or so ago and plopped it in the ground immediately. Well, it had a bud when it got here, even though it is still a tiny plant. In a couple of days, it bloomed and looked NOTHING like the pic above of this clem. It looks more like a pink champagne or something. Faded pink and no red whatsoever. Now, I'm not sure if an existing bloom fades out if they have been in shipping or not. I do know that will happen with echinaceas, but not sure about clems.

What is your experience with Bourbon? Is there any true red at all to the bloom? If there isn't, I'm moving that sucker b/c I don't want it beside my Rebecca if Bourbon is just pink with no red!

Also, I am thinking that I should probably pluck off that bloom anyway so that it will grow a bit more before it blooms. What do you usually do with newly-shipped clems?

Thanks so much!

Baton Rouge, LA

There was an excellent article regarding colors in clematis in a recent issue of the American Clematis Society journal. Basically, there are many things that can affect the richness of color and hue for a clematis, including the soil, season, amount of sunlight, nutrients, etc. Practically speaking, though, no absolute true deep red clematis exists. Rebecca is probably the closest, but just like finding a true blue rose, the true red clematis has not yet been realized. The photo above looks just like the photo supplied by the hybridizer (Evison) to growers of Bourbon. If that is indeed where the photo was taken, then you're looking at best case scenario for growing... perfect nutrition with regulated light and temperature and probably taken at the best point of the growing season. Blooms on stressed plants, such as those that were just shipped, won't exhibit the same beauty simply because they have been stressed and deprived of that light and temperature regulation.

HTH!
Evey =)

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Did your first opening Bourbon look something like this? This was my first bloom from a recently purchased plant, it's still in it's original 1 gal pot. I too thought it was mislabeled.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Another one is opening this morning and it's deeper in color. I think it's going to be more like it's name, Bourbon, a deep burgundy wine color, not a red like it's nursery picture in the first post.

I came across this image on Flickr and it's seems to be a color match for my newest bloom so probably quite accurate.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/twentypoundtabby/3585905972/

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Yes, Calif, that is exactly the color that mine came out. Good to know your second one is much different! I suspected that they reacted to shipping like echinacea's do, but I always like to get confirmation for my theories instead of just assuming. I know it won't be true red, but I definately wasn't expecting light, pale pink either, LOL!

Here's to deep burgundy wine!

Thanks

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Sue..always remember the first blooms on a newbie plant will not always look like a mature bloom and most definitely are smaller in size than a mature plant..Jeanne

Yep Jeanne, that's what I found out when doing some research.
Look at the difference with this one posted in the ID forum.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1077337/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.