small evergreen

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I need to know of a small evergreen shrub to put in front of a 1905 house that is being converted to a museum. Problem is, it only gets partial shade there. I just need something to stay evergreen as I will mostly have perennials and annuals there. I can't have anything large because a handicap-accesible ramp is right up against the bottom of the bed.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Rhododendron?
They do have smaller ones, like this
http://www.rarefindnursery.com/index.cfm/action/productdetail/product_id/3760.htm

oh, those are really cute! I will check them out further, jen. Thanks.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Leocothoe axillaris would remain relatively small. How about Kalmia latifolia. I'm not sure if Viburnum tinus or V. davidii would be hardy enough in your area.

both rhododendron and mountain laurel are native here in the Southern Appalachians. Of course, they grow quite large. I have seen rhoderdendrons more than 15 feet high and the laurel about 10 feet high. Because this is shady to part-shady bed, I don't think the miniature laurel would work but I have other places that it might. thanks.
Edited to correct spelling of rhododenron.
Does anyone have any suggestions for non-blooming evergreens for shade to part shade?

This message was edited Mar 31, 2010 11:47 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.