Growing bare root roses in Malaysia (near the equator)

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I am proud to say that i have about 20 different types of roses grown in pots in my garden in Subang Jaya (lowland) Malaysia with the average temp of between 28 - 33 degrees daily. Recently i was given a task at work which requires me to take business trips to the US. Over there, as it is in the midst of spring, bare root roses were selling like hot cakes. needless to say i purchased about 6 plants and brought them back here. I am happy to say that all are doing well.

I shall be going there again at the end of this month. I tried to purchase online from David Austin roses in the US, and was told that bare root roses need some time to adjust gradually to warm temperature which mean, gradually over a period of a month, get plant use to temperature starting from 13 degrees to the hot 30 degrees. Otherwise the rose will die.

Is this true?

LOL, for the Americans, me included, 13 celsius is 55 fahrenheit, 28 to 33 is 80 to 92f, and 30 is 86f.

I would try some, especially since you're already growing some. Pot them and then several days before you put them in sunshine, keep them in the coolest place around the house you can find, avoiding any sunshine.

Be aware that the bare-root season for the US is early spring, they are in the stores for only a short time. You may not find any to buy!

The temperatures here in the Caribbean are similar. Roses bloom in flushes, they think it's spring or fall all the time because of day/night length.

Good luck! And let us know what happens, OK?

Melissa

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Here in Mozambique roses are rare, and its a challenge to grow them next to the ocean. but i have about 8, and i love them!! good luck with yours, Peter!!
isaac

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.