question from a first timer

Wichita Falls, TX

I get to work at a greenhouse at one of the feedstores in town. I'm the greenhouse guru (ha!), I'm learning as I go. Coleus have arrived (all plants shipped in from local firm). Some seem awfully tall. I know they should be pinched back. But, I do not know how much. Remember these are for sale to the public, so I do not want to ruin any of them by getting carried away. The ones I am concerned about are 8-12" tall -- one stem with leaves up and down the stem. I can not see any prior pinching as other plants have been. So, do I leave it alone? If not, please tell this coleus dummy how far back to pinch/cut. Thanks!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Coleus do bounce back fast but I, for one, might be a bit hesitant to buy one that's just been cut back. Is there any way you could do 1/3 of them on a regular basis though they should be selling, I'm sure, and not just sitting there.

Here's a before and after shot of one I cut back last summer so you can see what I took off and what was left.

Thumbnail by pirl
Wichita Falls, TX

Wow! I was only thinking of pnching off the main stem to promote bushier growth. The orginal new plants appears to be very young -- one main stem with lots of leaves making their entrance.

I had no idea they needed so much surgery! I guess that would not look too good for sale. Thanks for the picture. Do you then poke all the cuts into potting soil for new plants?

Yes.

You can take off only as much as you want. No problem at all with that.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Next time they come in tall and leggy send them back (or don't accept them). Pinching is the growers job, not the retailer. (I am not a nice man, sometimes).

A well grown, ready for retail plant should look something like this>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Nice to have you back again, Dale. That is so pretty!

Pirl, was that an Electric Lime in your demonstration above?

Very pretty Dale!

Yes, it was. It must be the most prolific of all coleuses here. Solar Shadow is next in line.

Wichita Falls, TX

Hi! Been a while since I checked in. Thanks for the pictures. I see I do have work to do. Tomorrow that is on the agenda.

What do you know about perilla. I've been told to treat it like coleus. But, I'm hesitant. It too is leggy.

And Dale, I do like your idea about "sending them back", but I figure, we take the plants on consignment -- THEY will be the big looser if the plants do not sell. I do my best with what I get. . . Though I did let them know that it is not wise to mix shade and sun plants in pots, no matter how pretty they look at the moment. I've done a bit of reconstruction surgery on those mixed up pots. ???

Thanks for the advice people! I see tomorrow I get to start lots of baby coleus. Hope I can find enough space for them -- they come home to my place! That's what you call win-win.

Perilla has an unusual, enchanting color. It is said to get tall. Put it in back. I didn't have mine in sun, dappled shade under a mango tree.

It was so dry for so long. I finally watered it, gave it a good soak, and I think that killed it! Wa! But the soil in the pot was probably compacted and the roots drowned. So, they can sure stand being dry.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.