Dog Urine

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

I did a check of this forum but the search function was disabled. The main search engine didn't turn up any hits.

My neighbor NOW has three ankle biters that she lets out unsupervised to do their thing. Naturally they wander to my yard. Unfortunately, my border of Dusty Miller's have a definite dislike to dog urine.

Does anyone have any home remedies that will make the little squirts avoid my flower garden?

Just curious. And yes, I have made comments in the prescence of the neighbor while her dog was hiking its leg. So, on to the next approach.

Thanks

Dawn

Thumbnail by Delightful_Dawn

If anything works, it is mothflakes, or mothballs. I have used it to keep animals away from my evergreens.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks. I'll pick some up this weekend and then start looking for it to go on sale at Walgreens so I can stock up cheap.

Dawn

Defiance, OH

I have a bit of experience in this area. It is easier to change you own dogs behavior rather then someone elses dog. I find that if you place an attractive "landmark" ahead of their path, that you can detour them from their typical spots. In pet stores you can often find sprays or ground spikes that can help redirect a dogs behaviors. A cheaper and more effective way is to find a friend with a dog to help scent an object (like a over turned clay pot). Try to place it at least a few feet ahead of the path they travel to your favored plants.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Good advice beagelgarden. Problem is that we share a driveway and the houses are pretty close to each other. Her little trio has a straight shot to my flower garden when they come out of the house.

My dusty millers are just the right height for them to hike their short legs at.

I'm going to try the mothballs first.

Dawn

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Just a thought when you put toxic products in your yard that remain you may find some significant liability when a neighbor youngun eats it.

If there are children around, use moth flakes instead of mothballs. They tend to be less noticable, but just as effective.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

I also read that red pepper is a good deterrant.

I have tried red peppers years ago. It don't work. Neither do many sprays that are available. I have used moth flakes/ball to train my own dog (female) away from my houseplants and garden. Likewise roaming dogs away from evergreens and garbage cans.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

One way is to have a fencer (electric fence) with the area you don't want sprayed and one connection to the insulated wire (somewhat hidden) will end the problem with one or two connections with the ground.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Ouch! They are truely ankle biters. One good zap would probably do them in. Their itsey bitsey fire hoses would never be the same!

There was so much traffic on other sites on the wonders of red pepper. SEE, that is WHY I ask you guys questions....

Thanks everybody.

Dawn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.