When should I dig it up.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a few plants that have no sign of new growth should I give them a little more time to get with it or should they by now be showing signs of life. I want to replace them if they are truly dead.

Thanks

Lori

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'd give them more time--I have things that get frost damaged every winter and every year they come back and some of them aren't showing signs of life yet but since they've come back in previous years I assume they will now too and they just haven't woken up yet. My usual policy is to not give up on something until at least May/June--there are some things that can be that slow to come back.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Lori - I agree with ecrane - especially THIS year! We have had more, colder weather - later than normal, too.So, I am waiting until June before I rule anything dead - I am in zone 8b, & there are colder zones where things break ground earlier than here - even in a warm winter! Plants are odd things!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok, I will give them more time to come out. I hope this is the case. I want to add to my garden not replace it.

Thank you,

Lori

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

What are the plants that you're worried about? If you list them someone will probably be able to give you a little more info on how good their chances are. If they're very borderline or not quite hardy in your zone then they may not make it, but if they're hardy to a zone or two lower than yours then even a winter that's a bit colder than usual probably wouldn't kill them

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

white plumbago, Gaillardia, Salvia, Penstemon and my Lantana this seems to start buding later so I am not so worried about the lantana. oh and I think its called Russin Sage? we have colder than norm temps and lots of rain. A EL NENO!

What are my chances they will come back?

Lori

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Gaillardia, Penstemon, and Russian sage are hardy in much colder zones than yours so they ought to be fine. Salvia is most likely fine but it depends on exactly which one it is--there are some that are not as hardy. Plumbago should be OK but I think it's a bit more borderline than the others.

Hallowell, ME

I have all the listed plants above and I'm in zone 5. I'd say as soon as the weather stabilizes and the warmth stays steady everything should pop up.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You have white plumbago in zone 5? It's only supposed to be hardy to about zone 8 so I'd be very surprised that it would make it in zone 5. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/67506/ And the Salvia hardiness still depends on the species--there are hardier species and less hardy ones so it really depends on which one it is.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Also, Lantana & some types of Salvia should NOT be cut to the ground in the fall - the stems are hollow & fill with rain/snow, which rots the plants. I leave my lantana 6-8" tall until I begin to see tiny new growth in spring. My May Night Salvia I leave about 4-6" tall. Samantha

Hallowell, ME

I knew someone would catch me. Yes plumbago is not hardy up here and I keep lantana inside during the winter but I do have the rest of them and they always pop up. I get carried away sometimes. Today is the day I start my seedlings which won't be planted out until mid to late May depending on weather of course. By that time I sure some of you folks will already be harvesting veggies and having all your flowers in full bloom. I do envy you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.