A qick question

Lake, MI

I am getting ready to heat my greenhouse and I read somewhere on here that someone had questioned about using a solar pool cover to put over their gh.I can't find the thread. Did anyone use this before and did it work? This one that was given to me is blue do you think that would make a difference in letting the light in?

any thoughts would be helpful

Amos

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Amos, I couldn't find the thread for you either. But the solar pool cover is basically the same thing as bubblewrap and is an excellant insulater. I don't know if it being blue would be a problem or not. If it is, you could maybe cover the north side and ends with the blue and buy clear bubble wrap for the south side. You can generally find loads of free bubble wrap in the dumpsters behind rent to own businesses
Robin

Lake, MI

Robin thanks for the good information. I have bubble wrap on the inside of the gh, well half way. I don't have much started yet so figured I would only try to heat half this year utill I figure out what I am doing. I did put the electric heater out there this morning because we were going to be gone for some time and wanted to get it heated untill the sun took care of the rest.

Where I live out in the sitcks, it is 35 miles to a city and there is no rent to owns. But when I go down state I know where there is one and I could stop in and enquire.Good idea!

I am thinking that I might buy some thick clear plastic to go on the gh before I try the pool cover so it does not scratch the coating.

Hopefully some one that has used it before will chime in with some information.

Again Thanks

Amos

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Here's a link to the thread I started in November: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1052539/

I didn't get one for this last winter, but I will try to do so for next winter, for sure. Someone had posted that you should go with a clear one vs. a colored one. I did bubble wrap inside my GH this past winter, and it did help a good bit; however, I think a pool cover would be better (and easier to install vs. the bubble wrap).

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

We had an extra cold winter, so when it was getting close to zero with lots of wind, we put a large piece of plastic over the GH and tied it down, tent-like. It made a huge difference, especially on the windy nights.

I plan to bubble wrap next winter, but may cover it again if it is super cold again.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Hey, Cathy, good idea throwing the plastic over the greenhouse! I read all the threads talking about bubble wrap, but it'd be a 2 hour roundtrip to go locate some. So, I just used sheets of heavy plastic and loosely draped it inside the greenhouse and it made a world of difference. Elliot Coleman says every layer between inside and outside moves you up a zone and a half.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.