Do deer like cannas?

Prescott, AZ(Zone 8a)

Know that deer will eat almost every plant, especially in the fall, but are cannas deer resistant? They're on one deer resistant list I found through this site, but I'm wondering what your actual experience has been.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

They don't generally eat them. I grow hundreds of cannas and have many deer.
They many nip a few leaves, but pretty much leave them alone, especially as they mature and tougher flesh.
The only time I had trouble with deer eating them at all was last year when I planted them at one edge of my large spring fed pond. I don't know if it was the cool water keep them more succulent, but that time they ate everything but the roots.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the info. We live backed up to Forest Service land and the deer regularly wander through our yard. I bought 16 canna bulbs--going to pot a few for the deck, put most in the garden--and a few next to the pond (you gave me an idea!)

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Dont pot them in expensive pot, they multiply like crazy and i have seen and heard about them breaking through sides of pot to keep growing.. I planted a 6" root last year and it was a 2 foot round clump of roots going everywhere..
jen

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

I bought some whisky barrels today and I am going to mass some cannas near the walkway leading to the front door. I will be able to answer your question concerning deer in May.

Horn Canna Farm said to plant cannas at the same time as irish potatoes, so I called up one of the old timers who has been farming in the valley for about 60 years and he said he planted potatoes the first week in May soooo here's to trying perrenials as annuals.

If deer like cannas, it will be a very sad day indeed. :(

Sonny

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

perrenials as annuals??? you can save the root in winter storage and just keep planting them every year...
jen

Exactly Jen,

The Cannas are perrenials in warm weather areas, but I will have to dig and store them over the winter so they are just like annuals. :) That is unless the deer like them a lot, and then they will just be fodder. LOL

Sonny

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Ok, I was just making sure you weren't just going to let them die.. I was going to say that could get costly over the years..
jen

Belton, TX

I have grown many types of cannas in an area where the deer bed down...we live near a 600 acre nature center and often have multiple visitors to our gardens...they never bother the species or indicta canna, even in a drought!, but I have stopped 'feeding' the more expensive variegated leaf types since they really do seem to enjoy those very, very much...

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I don't wish to rain on every one's parade here......but our deer like Cannas. I have our entire backyard fenced just so we can grow things we like. Last year when the Cannas were blooming like crazy a few leaves were sticking through the wrought iron fence, and the deer ate them. Sometimes they pulled it out and just left roots.

We park the truck there for now until we can net it.

I have heard that deer vary from herd to herd in what they will or will not eat. But to be careful I would plant something with scent next to them......like Rosemary, or Sage.

Marlboro, NJ

I know I am a bit late with this reply. I gave my mother some cannas i purchased from Karchesky Canna and the deer didn't touch them. The deer did however eat just about everything else except the rhododendrons (sic)? They even ate the lantana down to the roots.

Hmmmm

Maybe Morganc is on to something. A neighbor has offered me some Russian Sage that they say is just getting out of hand in their enriched, well watered planters near their front door. If I plant the Russian Sage between the my five wine barrels of Cannas, maybe the deer will be confused. I think the combination of heights and colors will make a perfect backdrop/screen for the front yard!

The Cannas & Russian Sage would planted in a wide arc around the Hot Wing Maple in the picture extending from far left to far right along the bottom of the photo.

Sonny

Thumbnail by Pewjumper
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Gorgeous tree!

You might want to throw in some Rosemary for insurance. So your Cannas are within the circle of icky smelling plants to the deer. Rosemary is one thing I have never seen them eat....ever! And Rosemary blooms these tiny blue flowers that would look awesome with your Russian Sage.

Let us know how it works out.

Morganc,

Rosemary it is then!

I will take pictures when it is all in.

Here is a link for the tree: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/183529/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.