So far, so good....

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

I've been waiting until my plants get a little size to them. They've been noticeably growing each day. Looks like they are just about to really take off. We've had some nice weather as of late, hoping/praying it continues. So far only tomatoes have been planted in my SWCs. Started seeds on 1/4/10. Planted on 2/20/10.

Pictured(L to R) - Pruden's Purple, Brandywine(Sudduth), Paul Robeson, and Indian Stripe.

Thumbnail by Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Orange Minsk box

This message was edited Mar 22, 2010 8:30 PM

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Stump of the World box

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

I think I went a little nutty with tomatoes this year :)

What's been planted so far....

-Pruden's Purple
-Brandywine(Sudduth)
-Paul Robeson
-Indian Stripe
-Virginia Sweets
-Stump of the World
-Unknown Heirloom(Yellow Beefsteak)
-Neves Azorean Red
-Orange Minsk
-Danko
-Anna Russian
-Coustralee
-Brandy Boy
-Juanne Flamme

And here is the second wave of plants for next months planting...

Tomatoes

-Coure Di Bue
-Royal Hillbilly
-Brandywine(Cowlick's)
-Vorlon
-Goose Creek
-Lucky Cross
-Gary'O Sena
-Wes
-JD's Special C-Tex
-Caspian Pink
-Supersteak
-Moonglow
-Sweet Chelsea
-Riesentraube
-Big Beef

Peppers

-Biker Billy Jalapenos
-Peter Pepper
-Super Heavyweight
-Giant Aconcagua
-Gypsy
-Aji Dulce#2
-Jaloro
-Giant Marconi
-Jimmy Nardello
-Big Daddy

Corte Madera, CA

Looks great, babe. I don't know about "a little" nutty.

Crestview, FL

Beautiful plants, nah, not nutty, variety is the spice of life ain't it? LOL
joy

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Cool!

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ray, you'll have to rate them for us.....how well each grows in your coastal climate, size, taste. Sounds like you will have a lot of happy friends and neighbors.
I just made a couple of e-buckets for mine...1 Champion and 1 Jelly Bean grape tom. Saving my 2 ebs for other things this year.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

And to think....I cut out about 25 other varieties to get to 30. 55 different kinds of tomatoes would have been certifiably insane for me to attempt in my yard :)

Will do Carol. About 75% of these are all first time tries here. I have grown Pruden's Purple, Brandywine, Caspian Pink, Paul Robeson and Riesentraube before with good success in my climate.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

At $6 plus a pound for the heirlooms when you can get them at Fresh Market, maybe you can have a new side business. Your neighbors are gonna luv you!

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

I've seen them as high as $7.99 lb. at some stores. It just reads "Heirloom Tomatoes".

It's been in the back of my mind(but growing) about selling seedlings and/or tomatoes. But have no idea how I'd even get started. Could easily start hundreds if not thousands of seedlings and charge a dollar or two less than any nursery around(plus stronger and healthier). Last year, on a smaller scale I gave away at least a few hundred pounds of tomatoes, just in June-July alone. Hmmmm......

Corte Madera, CA

This should be, "So far, SO AMAZING!"

Hello, everyone! Mark's vegetable garden is quite happening! The plants are healthy and racing to have the first fruits of the season.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks 'Pet :) But not amazing yet(they have doubled in size since last pics though) I will never count my chickens before they hatch. Had a little scare with 2 Danko plants. Curly new growth always gets my heart rate up. But plants are healthy and no other signs of disease(other than pig tailed stems). Hoping it's just environmental stressors messing with them. Keeping a close eye on them though.

Might as well post this. Aerogarden counts as a Self-Contained Garden, right? In a month and a half it's already to the highest point. Been trimming handfuls upon handfuls of herbs daily for weeks but that doesn't slow it down. 24 hours later, it's back at the top needing to be trimmed again.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Nice batch Ray. The Stumps of The World look like trees?

Yes, what the heck is a "Stump of the World"? haha, great name! I'm off to google it.

You are the Tomato Man for sure.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Quote from Tplant :
Nice batch Ray. The Stumps of The World look like trees?[/quote]

Thanks T! SotW is 3rd in growth rate so far. They're still doing well at the moment. Staring to flower.

[quote="Molamola"]Yes, what the heck is a "Stump of the World"? haha, great name! I'm off to google it.

You are the Tomato Man for sure.

Hi Melissa! SotW is described as.....no need to go any further since you googled it :) You now probably know more about it than I do lol It should be a winner here.

Crestview, FL

Beautiful Ray.
joy

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Starting to plant my peppers in their final containers. Lots of work ahead.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Pruden's Purple Box doing nicely. Trying to stay on top of sucker removal. Trying to keep my plants more manageable this year.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Brandywine(Sudduth) box. 75% of the tomatoes are starting to flower now.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Needing to find room, I'm now setting a few plants in the African Daisies.

Cuostralee tomato.

Danville, IN(Zone 5b)

Great pix, Ray! Makes me even more anxious to get mine into containers or the ground ... but that's about a month away. Hope everything does well for you this year.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Quote from p1mkw :
Great pix, Ray! Makes me even more anxious to get mine into containers or the ground ... but that's about a month away. Hope everything does well for you this year.

Thanks p1mkw! I hope you have a great year as well. Looking forward to your pics once you get started.

Crestview, FL

Ray Beautiful tomato plants, how come the pic has a black strip going down the middle sideways when you enlarge it though? I like to click on the pics so I can see them better. I have all 10 EBs, 6 GPs and 40 E buckets full of potting mix, fertilizer and dolomite lime, out of potting mix completely and just 11 blocks of coir left to work with. Got all the plants transplanted except the 6 eggplants, peppers and remaining 9 tomatoes. Of course, I've left some EBs open and some E buckets open for the ones coming from Burpees and Shumways and have some 5 gallon grow bags should I need them also. I had 3-4 of the drain tubes clog on me on the 5 gallon buckets, but that ain't bad given I have 40 of them and the thing is I used the 3 1/2 gallon bucket for the reservoir and it's see through, so I can see if it needs water or not. LOL.
joy

Joy, maybe blow real hard into the clogged drain tube? Bleah.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Quote from joy112854 :
Ray Beautiful tomato plants, how come the pic has a black strip going down the middle sideways when you enlarge it though?

HUH? Might be a computer problem on your end Joy. I click and see full sized without problems. Anybody else experiencing probs? Let me know please.

This message was edited Apr 4, 2010 11:13 AM

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Pics look great on my computer!

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Cool, thanks Carol.

As far as clogged drain tubes. I've had a few EBs on the verge of getting clogged from a bunch of snails. I just straightened a wire hanger and mashed them all up..... made a nice snail slurry :)

P-too! big time! Please ignore my de-clog suggestion if the situation warrants!

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

I just pictured blowing on the tube and getting a mouthful of snail gut splash back. lol

Get off before while still blowing, whatever! And be blowing before you start.

Maybe a stick or a coat hanger is a better idea!

Corte Madera, CA

This thread IS under the radar, LOL.

OK, then, Moon, You describe the process that we are actually speaking about, in your own words.

I'm waiting!

lol

Corte Madera, CA

LOL, TSK shall find it's way home to Oceanside and spout has cover. Hopefully eliminating escargot problem.

(OMG, Mark (RayDerPhan) said we have some escargot frozen at home. Yet I never asked him where he ordered them). Did he say LOCAL?

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

I think I know what she would say (see pic) :)

Corte Madera, CA

TSK has been redesigned and the new one is scheduled to arrive today. Waiting for you to get home.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Quote from Moonglow :
TSK has been redesigned and the new one is scheduled to arrive today. Waiting for you to get home.

OMG wow 'Pet! You are the sweetest person in the world(seriously)!! Just got home, I have it next to me. The question now is what variety of tomato I should plant in it? I do have two Moonglow seedlings ready to go :) I have many others that will be ready in a week or 2. If not Moonglow, I think the Brandywine(Cowlicks) you sent me might be a good candidate.

Thoughts of what to plant in my first TSK are welcome. Hmmmmm......

Corte Madera, CA

Moonglow? Why would you want to plant that variety? LOL

I hope the cage is not a pain to assemble anymore. Hmm, I have only one Moonglow. I'll look for another locally.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Surprised you have never grown it! I told you to take 2 of them.

Well, here's my first TSK already to go. 2 Moonglow tomatoes planted. Probably add some marigolds and then mulch it. The cage was was a little funky to put together but once it's up, it's really sturdy. I really like the width of the box and the wicking system seems like a winner. Thank you again :)

Corte Madera, CA

The pleasure is all mine! It would have been cool to grow one of your favorite tomatoes in a TSK for comparison.

I grew either beans, marigolds, or nasturtiums with my TSK tomatoes last year for companion planting.

Looks great!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.