What is it?

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I have the book "Wildflowers and Ferns of Kentucky" but can't seem to find this one in the book. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

It looks like a Geum of some kind:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/stateSearch?searchTxt=geum&searchType=Sciname&stateSelect=US21&searchOrder=1&imageField.x=0&imageField.y=0

Some of them look very different at this time of year, you might need to see the flowers to figure it out.

This message was edited Mar 22, 2010 8:27 PM

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I dont know exactly what it is... but i have the same stuff growing 'out back'.
I once posted an image in the ID forum and it is a weed of some sort, i just dont recall what.

I pull most of the ones i find.

I actually just found the thread in the ID forum...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/705977/
not sure if this will help or not.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2010 7:01 PM

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

claypa was right. It is a Geum canadense. After researching it I matched it up in my book. A weed is just a flower growing in the wrong place! I'm not pulling it, I transpalnted it because I liked the looks of it and I do remember some dainty flowers last fall.

Thanks, Doug

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I planted some too, it has really neat looking foliage in late winter / early spring. It's native here, butterflies and bees use it, and it doesn't seem to spread much. I'm always looking for any kind of native groundcover, but I don't know if this would work or not.

tcs1366, yours looks like Geum to me too. The mugwort is an invasive weed in North America, but they should be easy to tell apart in summertime. Geum gets a few small white flowers about 18" high.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2010 10:12 PM

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I"m sure there is at least one left in my flower beds... i'll let one grow up.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

tcs1366, yours is definitely not mugwort, and I also suspect it is a Geum.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks gt.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.