Help Needed Desperately

Port Huron, MI(Zone 6a)

I went through a very painful divorce over the winter and my ex husband kept our house and my flower beds. He has agreed to let me come over and transplant my perennials and bulbs, but I can only go there once. My son-in-law is going to till up an area in the back of their property for me to transplant everything until I can put them in my children's yards and my mother's memorial garden. I'm trying to decide when to go. I am also wondering about a hoop house. Where do I get one and would it allow me to move the plants a little sooner? I am afraid that he might change his mind or his girlfriend will change his mind once she sees everything in bloom and realizes just how beautiful everything is. I really want the plants as they have a great sentimental value to me as well as the cost of replacing them would be enormous , but I don't want to do it wrong and kill them all. Any suggestions about the hoop house or the timing? I have blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and blackberries also and a couple of dwarf fruit trees.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I am very sorry for your divorce.

We moved a lot of our perennials up here to the farm from our city house. I think the best time to transplant is very early in the spring when things are just up three or four inches...........enough to be identified. It's still not too hot and the spring rains will help them settle in. I had so many and not enough pots to transfer them in so I used plastic bags. I had the area ready to plant in and put them in the ground as soon as we got up here. The main thing IMHOis to get them in the ground even if it's not in the exact spot you want them in. You can move them around again later. Of course, it's best to have a plan for where they are to go so you can pop them right in. Keep them well watered and you can even put a little transplant solution in the water to help get them off to a good start.

If the trees have been in a while I wouldn't move them. I'd leave them and buy them over again once you get settled in wherever you're going to be living.

Good luck

Port Huron, MI(Zone 6a)

Thank you so much. If a frost comes after I move them will they die?

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

As an unfortunate member of the already divorced club, get him to sign something that state what you have agreed upon. WORST case scenario, drive to the south for the plant swap and I am sure we can load you up w/ more plants than you will know what to do with! I lost all my plants when I moved out of my house. 50k worth of my landscaping and plants. 6 years later, doing better than before...

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm very sorry as well...

If you know the frost is coming try and cover them if you can, old newspapers and a rock or some 2 mill plastic like that painters drop cloth plastic stuff. They should be fine.

~Big Hugs~

Delane

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Kris wheres that swap at??? I can drive with you Grammie if you want we live close enough...

Port Huron, MI(Zone 6a)

I have to admit that losing my gardens to another woman was harder than losing him. I just planted each one of those plants for someone or something special. My grandchildrens birthday flowers, flowers named after loved ones etc. But your idea about getting something in writing is a good one.

Port Huron, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking of making a hoop house and just keeping them al together until I can move them permanently. I have three married children and they all want be to do their yards so I'll be busy this summer and it will be nice they'll be where my grandchildren will have them. I'm not sure where I'll land permanently yet. Thank you Detheo I just got back online so I'll have to see where and when and if I can go. I work a lot.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

I know it must be gut wrenching...but you will create a more beautiful one than the last one :)...and I'm sure some here on Daves can help and send some extras if they have them? People here on Daves have big hearts!

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

ok just d-mail me if you would like to go...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.