NEW ADDITION TO MY GARDEN.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi.

I was at Walsky Martsky yesterday and I noticed this plant I had never seen before: anigozanthos, or is it anigozanthus? Anyhow, they were apparently in good health. I asked the associate about them, but big surprise, she had no idea of their requirements. So, I bought the plant and took it home. I have researched it on Google,which sent me right back to Dave's Garden. It seems to enjoy anything from full sun to medium shade. It seems to like sandy well drained soil with regular waterings without waterlogging it.

Here is a picture of it.

Have any of you tried this one? My good friend Nancy was here today and she didn't have too much good to say about it. What do you think? At any rate, I find it pretty. It's always a start.

Thanks.
Sylvain.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2010 10:46 PM

Thumbnail by lourspolaire

There have been discussions about this plant before. They are very susceptible to mildewing in our climate since they prefer very dry environments. They will be pretty for a while though!

Mildew, you say... bummer. I'll give it a full sun location and hope for the best. I don't like problem plants. I'll enjoy it while it's still nice and when it deteriorates, I'll give it a swift disposal.

Hetty, if you remember a while back, at the beginning of a cold snap, I cut off my Penant Peach plumeria. I wasn't thinking. I should have just dug it up. I have replanted the cut stem near what was left in the ground. Both are sending out new shoots. Had I used my brain instead of my shears, I wouldn't have jeopardized the plant but it's a real trooper. I love plants like that.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I have had at least a dozen of this plant and when it gets humid, they turn black and die. As Hetty said, they are pretty and odd-looking while they last.

I appreciate your shared knowledge. Please keep it coming.

This plant also seems to be quite sensitive to dry conditions. It looked find at WM Saturday. I brought it home and set it in the shade under the carport. Yesterday afternoon, it was wilting quite a bit. I watered it and it perked right up. This plant may require more upkeep than it's worth. I'll hurry and take all the pictures I want while it's still alive. Its future looks bleak.

Sylvain.

You have 45 days to return it to Walmart - just tell them the plant isn't holding up like it should.

By then, it will probably have bitten the dust and I won't have to explain too much.

Sylvain.

LOL!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I water mine sparingly. I also have a red one, but it's not as showy as the one in the photo.

Here around my house, where the soil is more closely related to sand than actual soil, everything drains very quickly. So, it's going a question of finding the right balance of watering and letting it dry. Most gardeners I spoke to around here tell me it will develop mildew during the summer, which will cause the plant's demise. Que sera sera.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh well....It's a beautiful plant! Sounds like something I would do........just embrace it! Love it.....talk to it nicely.....who knows maybe it will make it!

Some things are for "but a season"..........if it brings you joy then it was worth it, hopefully! That's what I keep telling myself about everything that died in the freeze!

Hope you have many happy days with it!

Jeanne

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I love the name of the establishment in your first post, Pu'ole. You always make me laugh.

PK

I figure they don't need free advertising from little ol' me. Everyone knows whom I am talking about.

It seems this bumbling idiot was using a weed trimmer to do the borders on his lawn. When he got up against the fence, the neighbor's cat was sleeping on the other side of the fence, his tail laying under the fence and the bumbling idiot's lawn. He didn't see the cat's tail and he cut the neighbor's tail off by accident. So, he rushed the injured cat to Walsky-Martsky. Do you know why? Because they're the world's biggest re-tailer, that's why.

Just trying to bring a smile to your face. No cat was injured in the telling of this joke.
Take care.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

hahahahaha.....you are a scream!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

These are also called "Kangaroo Paws". I brought mine inside during the summer when I had one, to keep it out of the major humidity, and it did fine. I did have to spray it a couple of times for spider mites, but otherwise, no fungus at all. It bloomed again in the fall, then died. They are sold as annuals, but in So. Calif., they are perennials (drier climate)

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

....Lours...I think that airflow around your plant will be as necessary as sun... In Oz. they grow in full sun...but with stagnant air you are more likely to get mildew.... Nice flowers...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.