The smell of spring 2010 is in the air

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

And what better fragrance is there than freesias!!!! I love them.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

OOooohhh! I remember how they smell! I bought a pot of them one year at Christmas. The whole house smelled wonderful.

I am afraid everyone on this forum is out smelling spring ~ LOL What I am catching on the breeze right now is Carolina jessamine, commonly called yellow jasmine. Wonderful enough to warm the soul especially after snow on Sunday.

Thanks for sharing.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Podster - you may be right about everyone out and about. It has been a great two weeks of spring so far. But, rain is in the forecast for me this week.

In case anyone does come back to Fragrant gardening - another one of my most favorite plants ever are the peonies - both the herbaceous and tree peonies. The first to bloom are the tree peonies. This pink one has a great fragrance.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hello all....finally re-upped my DG membership....let's see what's been blooming and filling the air....hmmmm....Daphne...my first blooms on this sweet girl

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ever have a REALLY "duh" moment? I planted this dwarf magnolia in 2003, I think...I always told everyone how pretty she was but no scent. Tonight I'm playing Betty Bloodhound trying to figure out what the heck smells so yummy....Yup it was the Magnolia....who knew?? LOL

This message was edited Apr 3, 2010 12:22 AM

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

And another first blooms on my Viburnum

Thumbnail by Chantell
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow great blooms!! Glad to see you back Chantell. I love freesias. I have them all over my garden. Soil you are so luck to be bale to grow peonies. It is too hot here.

Thumbnail by Desertdenial5
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Marie - I am on the borderline - a few degrees the other way and it would not work. I am so glad that I can grow them - they are short-blooming, but definitely worth it.
Chantell - what variety of viburnum is that? Nice blooms. I am slowly taking out my lawn so that I will have more room to grow stuff.

And I love having freesias inside too. One nice thing about freesias is that the colors remain when the flowers are dried so it still looks ok after a week. I had this at home for a few days, and brought it to work for another 5 days. Just have to pick the wilted ones off periodically.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Aren't my quick replies something? Shessh....so sorry. She's a 'Mohawk' - here's the plantfiles on her http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56116/

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

Yum the fresh melony smell of Rangoon Creeper, I love this plant with all its colors.

Thumbnail by astcgirl
Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

It's perfect for over the arbor.

Thumbnail by astcgirl
Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

Fragrant version of Ixora

Thumbnail by astcgirl
Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

Chantell, your magnolia, do you happen to know what type it is? I just bought one at Home Depot named "Japanese Magnolia" and thought it was "Magnolia sieboldii" I was excited but upon researching I found there are quite a few called Japanese Magnolia, namely Magnolia liliflora which is the pink type. Trying to figure out if I should keep it or take it back, largely dependent on size and fragrance strength....I hate that HD never gives proper information.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2011 7:16 PM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Must be nice...my Ixora never had barely any scent. Oh goodness...as for the Magnolia...I have no earthly idea - bought it from a nursery back first year I bought my townhouse...I'm sure there was more to the label then Dwarf Magnolia but back then I didn't keep track - go figure.
Here's a "too dark" photo of my first 'Shooting Star' gardenia - this year. Last year she had barely any blooms...now...she's covered in buds...how excited am I?!?

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

T. Flore Pleno - blooming in my bathroom...here's from the back

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Flip side

Thumbnail by Chantell
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Chantell:
What is the common name of the flower you are showing? I don't know the other names.

soilsandup ....... do you have any freesia seed or plants to trade?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Crit - sorry for the delay - I'm really not aware of a common name for these sorry about that

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Crit - did not notice your post until now. Blooming time is just past for my freesias - I should have some bulbs to dig up in a few months once the foliage dies back. I have mostly yellows though. The reds and purples are buried within the bunch and it is hard to discern one color from the next once the blooms are gone. Remind me in a few months if you are still interested in trading.

Thanks.

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.