Blyth Iris

Ellinwood, KS(Zone 5b)

I was thinking about trying to grow some Blyth iris this year. Has anyone had any luck growing them in Zone 5 (Kansas)? If so which ones grow best?
Thanks!

Kansas City, MO

I have a number of Blyth iris. The best performers so far have been Temple of Time, Sweetly Sung and the wonderful Louisa's Song. I am in 5b, K.C. MO area.

These are also some of my favorites. They are gorgeous.

K

Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

I grow several Blyth iris in southeast Nebraska. To this point, the best growers are Enjoy the Party, Dream Lord, Mango Entree, and Endless Waltz. In general, Blyth iris tend to be all or nothing for me. They either do very well or they die quick.

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

A few of them I grow that do the best are also Temple of Time, Louisa's Song, and Cast a Spell, and all of them are beautiful!

Raleigh, NC

Louisa's Song and Temple of Time do well for me. So far, High Master is the best, and Touch of Mahogany is my favorite. Chardonnay and Ice is lovely, but isn't doing much here.

the one thing you have to keep in mind, jdlucky, about Blyth iris: they take a bit longer to get used to a new home than other irises I've had. Just a quirk, or maybe a product of their breeding. But, once established, they knock the socks off of a lot of other irises! Except for Louisa's Song, which is increasing about average for me, they do not increase that fast. They seem to respond very very well to better soils, more drainage, and more feedings.

I'm about to hold my breath and move a four year clump of High Master that is very very HAPPY this year. (After I try to get at least one pod off of it.) It's getting crowded on one one side, the side it's growing towards, by a rock walkway. Otherwise, I would not dig a Blyth iris clump but every 5 years. Unlike most of my others, that I would dig in 3 to 4 years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.