Which coleus do best in shade?

Maryland Heights, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm planing on planting some coleus in a flower bed I have by my carport. This area get little to no light. Last year I purchased the tall featherly type of coleus in different colors and only the red ones lasted. These however became so tall and extremely leggy. I'm interested in the flower types. Which ones would do well in all shadeThey look beautiful in everyone's pictures.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Here's Rosy Dawn's Selection Guide showing plants that want protection from sun:
http://www.rosydawngardens.com/Selection_Guide.aspx

(4th paragraph)

Coleus are grown mainly for their foliage, not for the flowers. Hope this helped you.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

You can control the height and legginess by more frequent pinching.

Karen

What is pinching?

Removing the top set of leaves to encourage the plant to branch out and get bushier - like you see in photos - instead of tall and "leggy".

The coleus I had last year were ther feather type. How could I remove leaves, it was just straight up with feather. Maybe this year when I purchase I can ask the nursery people to show me how to pinch.

Do you have either the name of that coleus or a photo of it?

Here's a link to a photo of coleus and the new leaves you'd want to pinch out are the ones that are in the center and are lime green in this photo:

http://ourhouse.biz/stories/home-garden/gardens/coleus-a-kaleidoscope-of-color.html

Thank you. How often do I do this? Do I do it the minute I plant them this spring?

When they get too leggy (tall and "skinny") feel free to pinch them back. You can go further than just one set of leaves if the plant needs it.

Thank I think I get it. I only do this when they start to look leggy?

Yes. If they've gotten too leggy just cut back further and root the piece you removed. Take off all but the top leaves (pinch first) and you'll have a new identical plant as the parent.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

The more you pinch coleus the prettier it will be. It will get much fuller. After you pinch, pay attention to the lateral growth that begins proximal to the pinch, then you will understand what we're talking about.

Karen

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

good advise.they just wont quit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.