Hydrangea cuttings from hardwood

Syracuse, NY

I will be pruning some of my hydrangeas to shape them. Is there a way to root some of the "live" stems I remove? The plants will not have leafed-out. I think they're Hydrangea arborescens varieties.

Grayson

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

You have nothing to lose by trying.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Syracuse!

You will not have much luck with propagating arborescens by cuttings this time of year. Best way is softwood cuttings around mid May here until June. Right up until the time the flowers begin to form.

It would be nice if those cuttings you are taking off now would root, but chances are not.

If you would like to try to propagate the hydrangeas in May, I'd be glad to give instructions.

Grayson - you have Dmail.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have been putting my cuttings in soil mixed with a scoop of those moisture crystals. I have had great luck doing this. the ones I stuck in pots last fall stayed out all winter, I have new buds forming on these now. I am going to be taking cuttings this spring and rooting them the same way.

I have many taken in all months of last year and they're all growing. I took another 60 recently. There is absolutely nothing to lose by trying if the pieces would be thrown out anyhow.

The key I have found to getting gthem to root is they must stay moist. That is why I think those moisture crystals help a lot. They hold the water for a long time.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Of course, there is nothing to lose by trying anything with plants, other than our time. And we have so much avaialble time in the spring, LOL.

I checked Michael Dirr's Manual Of Woody Landscape Plants, and he recommends softwood cuttings, 100% success in May and June (and keep in mind he's in Georgia), and fall hardwood cuttings with less success, but still good results. But he states by far best success with softwood cuttings in May and June.

Here's a good website on how to deal with the softwood cuttings. Of course, they're showing the softwood cuttings as that is what is normally used. I don't find any instruction on using hardwood cuttings, as that method is seldom used, but there may be some out there.

http://nantuckethydrangea.com/propagation.html

So, if you have the sticks from cutting hardwood in the spring and want to try, of course try, but then take some cuttings in late spring/ early summer from softwood to ensure your success.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2010 9:07 PM

Syracuse, NY

Last year in June I pegged down several branches, piled soil over the branch and weighted down with a brick or large rock. I checked earlier this week and it appears that all six attempts have rooted. I think I'll stick to that method this year.

Grayson

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That is a good easy method. Yay!

What's up with this cold weather today? And have you seen the forecast for April? Looking good.

oh I have done that too. in fact I have one that i need to get dug up and shipped out to a friend. But if the bush is not big enough take the cutting and root that.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I've done it, but normally when I want to propagate one there are no lying branches. Figures! I did do it with a physocarpus two years ago, and got a few new babies.

It happens that way all too often. Others seem to form big babies while we blink.

Winnsboro, TX

Gee I'm amazed at all my iris buddies hanging out on the Hydrangea forum. I have several I've been wanting to take cuttings of and make more plants. Looks like I'll be talking to Polly a little more. (grin)
I too have anchored down some lower limbs and rooted them with great success. Now I'll have to try some soft cuttings. Nothing but a little time wasted if I don't get any babies from doing so.
Thanks everyone for the interesting information.
Marian

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Do try the softwood cuttings in about May in your area Marian. They root so easily, and you can get quite a few from one stick by cutting it into smaller pieces.

Now that it's winter I have the time to post a photo of just a few of the cuttings I took last March when this thread started, just to show it certainly is possible to root cuttings taken that would otherwise have been tossed to the chipper.

Look at the roots!

It's true that it's not the preferred month to take cuttings but it's better to try for success than just throw them out and never know "what might have been".

Thumbnail by pirl
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

pirl, i need to borrow you for about a month ! I have things I need you to root for me ! LOL. Say, how good are you at rooting camellias? I haven't been able to root a single one ! (Sorry, I know that is another forum.)

libby

corgimom - I once bought a camellia but it died a fast death for me so I've learned to appreciate it on other properties, not my own.

The hydrangeas are just too easy to root and it makes it too tempting.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

I agree !!!! I have always loved daylilies and I am quickly growing to love hydrangeas almost as much !!! I just don't have enough shade in the right places !

Same here! I've been starting the cuttings with more sun than they really want just to see if they'll adjust from a tiny plant as they grow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.