Landscaping driveway culvert

Sanford, MI

Last year the county came thru and replaced all the culverts in the subdivision where I live. They also dug the ditches deeper. Needless to say it is an eye sore. I can't get a mower down in the ditch. That is a small problem compared to the end of my driveway. The sides are eroding & I need to find a solution that will hold the dirt back & look nice. I have an asphalt driveway. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.....

Gardnener Bill

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Well,
I took tumbled pavers ( I got at a close out from one of the landscape /pavers co. in Utica. They always take out their displays and then have those pavers for sale at half price.) My city refused to give me a permit to widen my drive way so I added brick pavers along the side of my driveway to widen it and add some pizazz to the length. Besides you don't need a permit to lay anything that is not permanent. And pavers are not looked upon as cement is in most communities. It is a removable, changeable paving material. I am not sure if you have sloping sides if you do then large landscape rocks fitted for the location.. Meaning each stone has to be set against the side of the asphalt drive just to the level of the drive. that is the only thing strong enough to hold the sides in/up and keep the asphalt from degrading.
Another would be timber but that degrades over time and for all the work you may only get 5-8 years out of the effort to keep in the sides of the drive with it.
That is all I have.
A picture would help.
Do you have one?
Julie

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Here is one link with a pic. If I think of it I'll take a picture of how we landscaped ours.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drainage-erosion-virginia/4292953381/

Sanford, MI

Thank you Loon. The use of stone is a good idea. We had used landscaping timbers when we had our home built about 20 years ago. They lasted about 5 or 6 years due to the large amount of water that runs thru our ditch. We are a few blocks from Sanford Lake, all the water runs to the lake. We even have ducks in the spring!!!! Thanks to the both of you for replying....

Gardener Bill

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Bill, I hope that works for you. Sounds like a lot of water going through there to get ducks there.

Do you also get fish swimming upstream?

Sanford, MI

No fish yet, but lots of frogs!!!! My wife & I are now weighing the cost of redoing with the lumber verses stone. Still not sure how we are going to do it. It is such an eye sore. The township is putting water thru also, not sure when that is going to happen. Thanks for the help & encouragement.....

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Bill that will happen when you get done with the drive way LOL I heard its going to be soon ;0(
love ya
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

We went with rocks and stones which last much longer than wood. I only wanted to do this once. I took some pics today to share. My little granddaughter was visiting so she got into the act. After I took the pics the sun came out. Figures. :)

Our ditch goes down to the Saginaw Bay of Lake Huron. We get pike in our ditch in the spring and tons of frogs. The area inside the fence next to the driveway has lots of flowers but they aren't up yet. I have iris and daylilies and some daffodil bulbs there. I usually put in a few annuals as well. On the outside we put down landscape fabric thick before adding the stone otherwise it's all wild grass and weeds.

Thumbnail by Loon
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

pic 2

Thumbnail by Loon
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

pic 3

Thumbnail by Loon
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

pic 4

Thumbnail by Loon
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

pic 5

Thumbnail by Loon
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

pic 6

Thumbnail by Loon
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

looks very nice Brenda good job and cute little Vanna White LOL
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow, nice job. The fence is a nice touch.

We put in a new culvert on our main road through the woods in a dip and we used rocks around it. Not only did it stay through the winter and spring wash (last year) but wildflowers poked up between the rocks.

I have not seen any frogs yet. Keep waiting to hear the peepers.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

That is really nice Brenda...adds alot to the "curb appeal" I'm sure ^_^

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks. It is easy to maintain and does the job. Designing it like this also slows down folks coming into and out of the driveway. My UPS guy is scared to come in I think. He always parks in the road and walks my packages up. :) I'm a big fan of cement and rocks. The only drawback is they tend to attract mice. They love cement and rocks because it holds the heat. I have two killer kittens now so we're safe. :)

The fencing matches the fencing all the way around my house. I decided to put it by the road as a landmark for the driveway so I don't miss it and land up in the ditch. :)

Sanford, MI

Loon

Thank you for the pictures, it's a great design. Mine is a little bit higher, but I could do the same thing. Just need more rocks.
We have to do most of the yard over because of septic tank replacement. It pretty much took out the whole yard, front and back.

Thanks again,
Bill

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I know buying stone can be pricey. We have a farm and I found a large pile of rocks on the edge of the woods. I guess when the farmers would till the land and find rocks they'd collect them and pile them up. I have some big bolders in there I'd love to get out with the tractor somehow and landscape with them. You might want to ask around some local farmers if they have some rocks you can have. I did buy the smaller river rock in bags at our local lumber yard. Be sure to put landscape fabric down thick everywhere you can because those darn weed seeds will find their way in there if you don't.

Good luck and post pictures for us when you're through. You might want to hire some strong high school kid to help with the heavy rocks too. Saves on the ole back.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Bill If your going to do rocks call Brother Larry he has lots ;0)
Gloria

Sanford, MI

Gloria,

I'm older than you, how about helping an old brother-in-law!!!!

Bill

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

shure you bring the truck and I'll Have Larry use the loader he said if I wanted them I could get lots !! THEN you invite all the kids for a cook out and they can unload WE will supervise How dose that sound ??? LOL oh I have busted up concrete comming ;0)
Gloria

Sanford, MI

Anyone out there have potentilla shurbs in there yard?
I saw a bush in front of a house and it had bright orange flowers on it with small leaves on the branches. I looked it up in a book I have at home and it sounded like that was the plant. It looked pretty hardy. Any information would be helpfull.

Thanks, Gardenerbill

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Bill are you sure it was a Potentilla and not a weiglea ??
Gloria

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

I have it...looks like it likes full sun though mine is yellow...mine is on the north-west corner of the house...it's pretty hardy...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.