Looking for a replacement tree

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

My aunt and uncle lost a 50ft pine in the recent heavy trees here in the MidAtlantic. They are looking to replace the tree with something else, but as no one in the family has much experience with trees (and my aunt is dubious about the help she might get at Lowe's or Home Depot), does anyone have any suggestions?

She's in Zone 6, the location is in full sun, right across from a part of Philadelphia's Pennypack Park. Her twin would be about 15 ft away from the site, situated to the SE of the tree site, which has only been occupied by the now gone pine tree. (The house was built in the 1950s.)

She was thinking maybe a magnolia tree as she doesn't want something that will grow to 50 feet again, but would like something that has some color and a presence. She's not fond of dogwoods.

I guess I should also ask if she can plant a new tree in the same spot so soon after the old tree fell.

Any tips?

Thank you!

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh and I forgot to mention that she is on the corner of two streets intersecting - low car traffic area. The park separates her from higher traffic roads with significant car and bus traffic.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.