March 19th, 2010: Travelers Palm (Ravenala madagascariensis) by haighr

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

The Bloom of the Day for March 19th, 2010 was Travelers Palm (Ravenala madagascariensis).

View the bloom of the day here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/botd.php?date=2010-03-19

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

just seeing that makes me think of vacation!!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Those are incredible!!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

And vacation is when it was taken in PV!

This message was edited Mar 19, 2010 9:44 AM

This message was edited Mar 19, 2010 9:45 AM

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I couldn't help but pick this photo! I have been so mesmerized by these since I first became aware of them a few years ago. And the very same day I saw it online, I saw one in my neighborhood on the way to the PO. I went a different route and there it was. Not a spectacular one for it has been poorly groomed but one none the less.

Then 3 years ago I was in Southern Ca and there was one of theses in the courtyard of the hotel where we were staying. A lady I was with named Lali, another Daver, asked the gardener in Spanish if I could scoop out a seedling of it no bigger than 1 inch. Today it is a few feet tall.

I just love this picture. I would so love to see one like these mature ones in this great picture.

PS
I have never seen one for sale in a nursery here. I wonder why!

This message was edited Mar 19, 2010 3:58 PM

Great shots but interestingly, none are of the blooms.
Here is a shot of the bloom, on the tree in my yard.

I agree, almost nothing says 'tropical vacation' like a Traveler's Palm. They are quite sensitive to cold and I guess that is why they are not sold in zone 9b.

Thumbnail by

Kell, well done on getting a seedling to grow. The startlingly blue seeds have a long germination time.

I wrote a short article on this tree, here is a link.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1845/

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I had seen this plant when it was a youngster but never as it grew up. Wonderful plant. Now I understand why people grow them.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

What a great article Dutchlady! I LOVED reading about it and seeing all your pictures. I am going to pot mine up to a bigger pot tomorrow just from reading your article. So cool!

The bloom is interesting too!

Tonight I had to stop by a friend's house to bring her a pot full of pea soup I had made for her and then we went on to San Francisco for our usual Friday night sushi dinner. We passed a yard that I think had clumps of Travelers Palm. My husband would not slow down muchless sto pan dlet me out to take a picute opr 2. He had sushi on his mind. I was unsure for they did resemble Strelitzia too. So now I must go back to take a pic and see what you all think!

Definitely a so cool plant.

A mature Strelitzia MIGHT resemble a young Traveler's Palm. However, the mature Traveler's Palm is strikingly individual and will not be mistaken for anything else.
I am glad you enjoyed my article.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.