variegated or chartreuse shrub

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

would appreciate suggestion of a shrub that will lend itself to pruning as it will go in a semi-formal setting where it will be maintained as a 4 ft shrub. hardy to zone 9, everygreen preferred

does weigela lend itself to pruning? I've been eyeing w. florida Gold Rush.

I can only think of boxwood as looking good pruned or free form. everything else looks, well, chopped. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

How about Osmanthus 'Ogon' or Ligustrum x vicaryi

This message was edited Mar 18, 2010 10:49 AM

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

What about one of the Boxleaf Honeysuckles (Lonicera nitida)? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=lonicera&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=nitida&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

I love the cascading form of these shrubs and the 'Baggeson's Gold' we've had in the landscape for almost 10 years has stayed compact, only about 4' tall with very little pruning required. We planted 'Lemon Beauty' last year and I think I'm going to like this one even better - the variegated foliage is striking in the garden! Although they get a little beat up with our colder winters they still provide color throughout the year and bounce back quickly in the spring.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Boxwoods don't have to be just the formal looking green variety.
There are some beautiful variegated ones, too.

For something more unusual, I have seen a garden with a couple beautifully pruned enkianthus shrubs. 3-4 ft tall. I didn't realize it was enkianthus until I saw it in bloom. It was spectacular.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Osmanthus Ogon is glorious but might be a little pricey for the project. I'm leaning towards ligustrum vicaryii.

Everybody's ideas are great. the honesuckle is unique looking and weerobin, i love boxwoods of all kinds, esp. variegated ones, but they seem hard to get. Every time I'm hot for them and start looking, it seems they're sold out.

I love duranta Cuban Gold but I was surprised when it died this winter, apparently it can't take temps below 30s. Since the typical winters in our area don't go below 30s, it hadn't been an issue. This year, big issue!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.