Ironing board...how to make one

(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I finally got a larger size mat to cut fabric (24 x 36). The old one was too small and I had to reposition it often, but still use it for the smaller cuts. So now I have to use the end of the dining room table to use the big mat.....I started thinking...

So what I was thinking recently is what a pain that ironing board is and how I hate that taper part at one end and how much easier it might be if I had a larger flat surface to iron on....like the dining room table! Well not the table, but... I'm thinking of getting a large piece of particle board, pressed board, whatever they call it. Not sure how big, not huge, just wider than the ironing board and all the same width and maybe a bit longer too. I'll have to go the the Lowes or HD and look at what they have. So how would I make an ironing board?....just put a couple layers of cotton batting and some muslin over the board and staple it on the back side? Would it be that easy?

I did buy one of those (June Taylor?) ironing pad on one side / cutting mat on the other...never used the cuting side as I don't like their surface, I just got it for the ironing part and its beside my sewing machine and thats really handy. I now realize I could have made my own with a piece of board, but thats okay it's light and easy to move out of the way.

So any ideas or suggestions. Has anyone already thought of this and made one?

Thanks! tish

This thread has 24 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!