Ridding myself of some cedar mulch

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi , Last year I put cedar mulch everywhere outside my garden and I love it, However, I also put it on top of the melon bed to keep the watermelons from sitting on the dirt because of dirt-rot (maybe I made that disease up, I don't know). Well in that particular bed I happened to cover it with gypsum (Because its mostly clay, thanks Ken!), then a lot of composted cow manure.... Well When I went to plant some seeds I kept digging into clumps of cedar mulch. I know it breaks down very slowly so i'm already in a mess, then I learn it takes up all the N in the soil while it breaks down. So today I put down a bunch of blood meal to counteract the N takeup from the breakdown.. Am I done now? Just playing a waiting game, or did I make something bad even worse?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

If you're shooting for the ideal C:N ratio of roughly 30:1 in the mix of cedar chips and blood meal composting in place on the ground, add 1 pound of blood meal for every 19 pounds of cedar chips.

I used a program called Compost Calc to get these numbers. http://www.compostingtechnology.com/probesandsoftware/compostcalc/

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks pirate!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

My pleasure!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.