I want to start a Facebook "cause" about planting BF host

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

plants. Is anyone here on Facebook? Would you all ike to join?

We could also share information on the nectar plants and other aspects of butterfly and hummingbird gardening. I know Dave's gets alot of traffic, but Facebook gets TONS!There are a few sites out there, but they are mostly inactive and there is little to no information on them. We could also send out seeds to those who are just starting and let them grow some basic nectar plants (zinnias and such), as well as milkweed and other hosts.

Let me know if there is any interest, and I will set up the page.

Thanks, Jennifer

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

I am, I will.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I am on fb and will join your group. Not so sure about seed mailing offer, you might get a bunch of action with that.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Yes, I am still undecided about that. I don't have to send a bunch of seeds, just enough for someone to get started. I will think about it some more. I am on FB now looking to get the page up and running.

Thanks for your interest :)

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

OK, here is the name of the group: "Spread the Love for Butterflies - Plant host and nectar plants!"

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I updated the page, and offered some Milkweed, Mexican Sunflower, and Salvia seeds.

We have 13 members - it's a start!

Edinburg, TX

I just joined - will take time when I get back home to check it out thoroughly :o)

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Please add any information you want. The more diverse, the more we learn from each other!

Jennifer

Indialantic, FL(Zone 10a)

I just joined too!

:+)

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Terrie! We have 97 memebers now.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Do you have a link to your page?
Found it :) joined and invited some friends

This message was edited Apr 5, 2010 9:14 AM

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Awesome thanks! We have over 100 members now.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I just joined :)

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks! We have really grown. 122 members as of today. I want to try for 150 before May, so invite your friends if they are interested :)

Molino, FL(Zone 8b)

I'll join tonight.

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

I am on FB too, but don't go on as much... I don't have anymmore seeds at this time as I gave them away at my last plant swap.. with the same intentions as you Jennifer...to let the novice gardener's know what milkweed is for etc.
But I would join the FB page ..you never know.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks to both of you :)

I have PLENTY Milkweed seeds. I bought a few ounces which filled half of a gallon Ziploc bag. I haven't had many people ask for them, but I have them! If anyone would like some, just let me know and I will send them out :)

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

I can't think of anyone neding more & I have a plant swap this weekend..so if anyone asks I will let them know..thank you for the offer.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

No problem :)

League City, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't have a FB account but my wife does. I'll ask her to look into your account...

Check out my new butterfly/ hummingbird garden. I did this today (I should say "we" but DW was the foreman more or less.) Wish I had taken a "before" photo, but basically this area was a total eye sore due to some miscellaneous pots stashed in this area, plus my dogs had dug up much the grass and so the soil was exposed and the area was full of holes.

Sorry for the blurry pic but it was taken from a camera phone. There is one firecracker plant in the background, plus one butterfly bush on the extreme right. There is a Turk's Cap in the foreground, and two cigar plants (David Verity) and two butterfly weeds as well.

I am so relieved to finally be done with this project...

Thumbnail by JohnCrichton75
Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Very nice! The butterfly bush is a magnet for butterflys and hummingbirds here. Congratulations on the new garden :)

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

Very nice John... keep up the good work!! After you've rested of course! hahahahaha

League City, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Cindy. I can't wait for the plants to really "take off" and fill in the flower bed real nice so the birds/ butterflies will stop by soon!

A guy at our local farmer's market had something called a porter weed for sale, about 18" or so tall ($9.) It might make an good addition, according to the plant files.

Yah, i've heard they love that stuff.

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

well... have you looked up porterweed?? I have.. it can be invasive! It is a weed..hence it's name... so it will grow!!! hahahaha

Molino, FL(Zone 8b)

The butterflies do like porter weed. It gets really tall, 6 feet or so. It hasn't been invasive for me so far and I've had it several years.

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

Pestee42... I guess it depends on the zone lived in..hahahaha

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

There are several different species loosely lumped together as porter weed. You might get the guy to tell you which one it is.

Molino, FL(Zone 8b)

Very true Cindylove.

Yah, for sure not invasive up here! LOL.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I planted some a few years ago, and it does spread, but it is easy to identify and pull up. The leaves are green, but have purple veins, and are textured. They come up pretty easy. The butterflies and hummingbirds do LOVE them though!

is it just a nectar plant then? any hosting going on?

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I don't think it's a host plant for anything.

Crestview, FL(Zone 8a)

hi all what's the FB name? im on facebook all the time and would love to join too

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is the post....
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7639895

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Sheila!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Jennifer, question...
I have noticed each time I pull up this thread the font changes...what is up?? Is there some way you have changed it. Not just the posts, but the whole format of Daves is different.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I noticed the same thing. I have no idea why it happened. Maybe because we're all so special ;)

League City, TX(Zone 9a)

I am putting this pic, taken today, here only because I posted a photo of this same bed earlier on this thread on April 25th.

The butterfly weed has really taken off like the weed it is. My Turk's Cap has started to develop pink blooms, but it has some sort of mildew or fungus here and there so I don't know what to do. I'll need to take a picture so someone can ID. The cigar plants are doing fine but the butterfly bush could probably use more sun. I planted strawberries for the kiddies as well, but there is still plenty of room for other stuff. I am currently growing purple coneflowers from seed so hopefully they continue to grow strong so I can plant in this garden one day.

Thumbnail by JohnCrichton75
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Looking great! Only problem I see is that it is just the start of a whole lot of other flower beds. You have the fever now....plus when the butterflies come you will want to have more for them! LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.