Where to get reasonable planters

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just came from BigLots and bought these for 8 bucks each.Light weight but careful they chip if banged around.
The green ones were less than 3 bucks ea.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2010 11:16 AM

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Christmas Tree Shoppe
These are heavier and cost 10 bucks they are about 12 " made from a combo of clay and a recycled fiber of some kind

Thumbnail by ge1836
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Cool. There's a Big Lots on my way home from work. I'll stop and see.

Thanks!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Choices here were not a nice as last year.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I just bought 2 huge ones from Walmart for $25 each. They are 22" round at the top, but they are NOT sturdy by any means...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'll be drilling holes in mine today. Thats the nice thing about them.Easy to adapt for drainage.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I got a 22" diameter resin pot at Costco for $23,00, Haven't got the drainage holes drilled yet. I am planning to move my fig tree from a smaller pot into the 22" one as soon as weather is warm enough outside for it to be put out on my deck. It has been 25 degrees the past two mornings, so don't think it will be warm enough right away.

Donna

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Your zone is close to mine. Thats a great buy.I havnt seen anything 22 inches for less than 40 dollars.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I got a 22" pot at our local Costco for $20 and snapped one right up. At that price it's going to fit in whether I have room or not!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Absolutly.
I have a rule not to pay more than 30 bucks for any planter no matter whay size.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

My new rule, imposed last year, is not to ever buy any of the really heavy ceramic planters. The older we get the heavier those containers get.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Amen. I tip mine on their sides for the winter.

Mine are all lightweight, except for the dirt, and they stay upright and outside all winter. They have to perform or they're outta here. I just discovered I have tendonitis in both shoulders, partly from carrying heavy pots and bags of dirt around. Gotta get a dolly!

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7b)

I have maybe 5 big planters that I found at Home Goods. They weren't 'dirt cheap', but are the sort of thing that would have cost vastly more at the big box stores or the nursery, and IMO the HomeGoods ones often are better looking.

Anchorage, AK

Seeing my neighbor's upside down tomato planter, I have been cutting the bottom out of milk jugs and trying different things (upside down) I have lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, zuccini and strawberries. It's early, but they appear to be doing really good. The zuccini is about twice as big as the zuccini in the raised beds.
I saw an add for a "potato grower" at one of the seed companies, the more I looked at it the more it looked like a kitty litter bucket. The potatoes that I planted there are about 5 times as big as the ones in the garden.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

we bought one of the green bags advertized on TV it was five bucks.
We have cherry toms in it.the plant grows upright anyway.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

This seems like a good project to try -

http://tipnut.com/patio-paver-planters

Camp Hill, PA

I check department stores that dabble in lawn and garden as a seasonal product. My local favorite is Boscov's. They have nice ones, and when they are on sale I stock up.

About this time of year they mark them down to at least 50% off. Gotta git rid of them to make room for the snow blowers and winter coats!!!

Columbus, OH

I have good luck with tag sales. Mid-August or so, when the poorly-planted annual containers sold by big box stores are all dead, people sell off the containers. I bought over 50 containers, nothing smaller than a gallon and two of them were 40", for under $30 last year.

Wow! I could even afford that!

Lake Charles, LA

My local nursery sells used pots for 18 cents for one gallon, 25 cents for two gallon, 35 cents for three gallon and on up. Not bad at all.

Are they black plastic? I'd like to get some attractive foam pots, but I don't see them anymore.

Lake Charles, LA

Yes, they are black plastic. I need them for all the plants that I've started.

I found some reasonable ceramic pots at Ross's earlier this year.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Check to see if your area has a Habitat Home Store (run by Habitat for Humanity). It operates like a Goodwill for home and garden (construction, remodel, etc.) type stuff and also has a lot of new things that were just surplus or ununsed. I saw some fairly big pots for just a few dollars and other things that could be helpful to a home gardener.

Austin, TX

I plant in everything, hubby hides his boots!

For little plants lately I took a tip from another thread and went to Goodwill and got a cute little primary color assortment, and now that I can drill 'em my self (see my thread "Drilling Pots for Dummies") where I put it out there and got lot's of great help.

In this group, I especially love the red latte cup and saucer. The Cylinders are Pampered Chef and are upward of $19.99 on Ebay, and I paid $2.99, each. The latte cup and saucer were $1.99, as was the tapered blue. The lime, whole thing was $1.99 and I just saw it at HD for $2.99 and $1.99 the saucer, and it had a hole

Thumbnail by sylguy
Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

Check Lowe's right now for some good buys on nice big pots. I have found they are marking down some of these 40 - 60 dollar pots to $15. I bought one lightweight one and one heavy ceramic one so far. My daughter lives in Jacksonville, FL and found different ones at her Lowe's. She picked up five big ones for $15ea and two small ones for less than $4 for me. Then she went to a store called Garden Ridge (no plants just a lot of decorative pots and other stuff/ as well as cheap books, etc.) and found some pots 75 per cent off. So she bought my Christmas and is so excited. If I could go visit right now while that sale is on, I'd get my Christmas too.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Ohhh do I need to crow!!! Every year a large, upscale nursery op very near my home has a 'tent sale', with a real tent. There are always some really great bargains. Wed, I bought a set of 3, large high-fired glazed ceramic pots - top quality stuff - guaranteed frost-proof. They were marked $124.99, 89.99, and 59.99, and I got all 3 for just under $50. They probably hold 5, 4, 3 gallons, respectively. I've taken advantage of sales like that at this particular place many times on other items. I bought a very thick, 40" diameter x 14" deep solid copper vessel that was supposed to be used as a fire pit (last year) for $30 with the iron stand. It was marked $240. I use it as a water feature & it looks great. Needless to say, when Aug comes I watch hawkishly for the tent to go up as I pass each day on my way home.

Al

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

Wow! Al, sounds like super, super finds at fantastic prices. Maybe I better check that place in Pensacola that has huge beautiful pots and see if they have a sale any time soon. I think all they sell is pots and they are expensive, like over $100. Hadn't thought of that but I do need to check.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Lol - this particular place starts devoting all their indoor space to Christmas decorations, starting in Sep, so each year they have a legit "everything must GO" sale. Good luck - I hope you're as fortunate as I. ;o)
Al

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I stopped at a Garden Ridge in NC this year and found, even at full price, their heavy ceramic pots made in Viet Nam were inexpensive as compared to orther places including the big box stores. The most expensive ones they had were $99 but these were huge, 4'+ tall pots. Most were in the $40 range and they were 20" to 24" across. I stopped back about a month ago and picked some up on sale, they were 50% off then, wish I were back there now.

As inconvient as the heavy pots are, it is windy where I live and the lighter weight pots blow over easliy. I put the heavy ones on dollies and while they do roll across the deck sometimes, they rarely blow over.

Where is the Garden Ridge in Jacksonville? My son and his family live there.

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

ardesia, Garden Ridge in Jacksonville is on Atlantic at Monument Rd. across from the Regency Square Mall. I noticed they have 3 in NC and 1 in SC at Greenville I believe. They have a website--gardenridge.com--where you can find store locations.

I like the heavy ones for the same reason. If the plant in the pot gets a little top heavy in those lightweight ones, over they go in a light wind. I just use hand trucks to move them around when I need to.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks, I'll have to check them out next time I am down there. Jacksonville is only 3 hours away, Greenville, SC and Charlotte, NC are both around 4 1/2.

I got this pot there on sale for $10. It is about 18" high and very heavy.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have a weakness for containers.I also have to stop buying them until my old fiberglass crack so much they are useless.

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

Well, ge1836, if you can find them on sale cheap enough, gotta gettem while the price is right. That's my motto anyway.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I agree.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

My fifty year old son loves to do the yard sales. He grabs the good containers for me when he finds them. His top price is two bucks. His last capture was a coal bucket for a quarter. If it proves to be a real old one I may not drill this one. LOL

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Great idea docgipe.

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

I do that too, docgipe, find neat containers at yard sales. I've always got the eagle eye out for something I can put a plant in or on.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

My problem is largely the simple decision that has to be made when I ask myself.....how much is enough? I seem to do a lot of things with addictive vigor. Pot collecting can get out of hand for me too. LOL

Then I take a load to the landfill so I can collect some more. My trailer is nine feet by fourteen feet with twelve inch sideboards. Fully loaded it costs me only twenty bucks to visit the landfill receiving station....that is piled high and sometimes with added sideboard height.

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

Goodness, I've picked up good pots at the landfill. Not fancy ones, but big functional ones.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.