Culling Seedlings

Shreveport, LA

How do you know what to keep and what to discard? I want to keep them all, of course, but it just won't be happening! Not enough room or time. I put these in a big flat to let them grow some more and will scoop them out if they look like keepers or maybe even dudes.
I tried to keep the most interesting ones but then I understand some of the smallest and ugliest seedlings turn out to be the good ones. These are seedlings from my cutting grown plants from last year that I let go to seed- none are commercial seed types. I realize that I'll be lucky if even one turns out to be a keeper. There are about 60 in the flat. How does everybody decide?

Thumbnail by Frank1965
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I'd keep mostly the biggest, healthiest-looking seedlings for sure. If there's one that's particularly pretty unusual, it might get a chance too. It's just sometimes impossible to keep them all.

Karen

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Babies are cute

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

personally I let them get bigger before I would move them... then pick the biggest strongest ones.. but that's just me

Shreveport, LA

onewish1, these have been transplanted from communal pots where they were very crowded- I must have not made myself clear in the post. These were the best looking ones so I moved them up to give them more room. I'll scoop them out if they look good or maybe even bad and give them individual pots later as they grow.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

doing a good job Frank

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.