Big grass stems

Billingshurst, United Kingdom

A large part of the biomass I have available for composting is from big ol' clumps of Miscanthus sinensis. Leaves go down well but when I cut the dead flowering stems in Spring I find they're too persistent to break down well in my fairly low key , not very aerobic compost heaps. Any experience with this. I'm thinking of mixing them in with the leaf mould and letting them compost really slowly with that, or perhaps I should put them in the normal mix and just get up off my behind and turn it more often.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Whatever trips your trigger will be just fine. I always maintained a long pile where the newest part of pile is where the more difficult material got placed. There it stayed until it rotted in place. The other two parts of the pile got rotated and turned now and again. I just never got in a hurry. Time will compost anything. Turning it just makes it break down faster. Now that I am a senior by any numbers the pile has to converge on its own. I have time to watch. Watching is not a difficult chore. LOL

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

gives the eyes a nice workout!

Thanks. Sounds like a sensible way of looking at things. Just lay there by the junipers.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

If left lay to close to the junipers or any other shrub or tree planting the compost pile will be visited by the roots of those plants. I never let that worry me. Every year or so I cut those feeder roots out with a tiller.

Yeah! I've had that problem too. End up having to aggressive with spade

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.