Your Favorite New Iris Last Year

Bakersfield, CA

I'm pretty new to this forum, and maybe you've already gone over this, but I'm interested to know what your favorite iris that bloomed for you last year for the first time would be. What's the first one that pops into your head? Mine is, without doubt, 'Applause Line'. It didn't take a year out to think about it before blooming the following year, like so many of them seem to do, and I wasn't prepared for how dramatically beautiful it was -- even the aging flowers. Here's a picture I took last April.

Thumbnail by Betja
Vail, AZ

I think my favorie new iris last year was Ocelot.

Thumbnail by redheadclan
Bakersfield, CA

That's really a beauty too. I think they're both from the same hybridizer (Joe Ghio), and look at those gorgeous beards!

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

My favorite is Sotto Bosco. It bloomed two months after I planted it!
Unfortunately, it's been a very cold and wet winter, and this particular rhizome rotted... BUT, I have another one.. &:-)

Thumbnail by naomimade
Bakersfield, CA

You know, I recently purchased Sotto Bosco from Dee just because I saw your pictures in DG and instantly fell in love with it. Can't wait to get it, 'cause it'll probably be my favorite newbie in 2010!

Vail, AZ

I recently inroduced a good one. It's named for the emeritus conductor of the San Francisco Symphony Chorus that I sang with for a while, "Vance George."

Thumbnail by redheadclan
Bakersfield, CA

Really pretty! What is the parentage?

Gilbertsville, KY(Zone 7a)

Here is one of my seedlings from 2006 cross that bloomed for first time last year.

Thumbnail by dd95172
Bakersfield, CA

I have two irises that tied for the #2 spot in my garden last year. Here is the first, Lesley Painter's 'Brilliance'. This is the third year it has bloomed for me, and it is an absolutely drop-dead gorgeous brilliant orange. I believe this is my all-around favorite iris at this point, although I'm sure that could change in an instant by next month!

Thumbnail by Betja
Bakersfield, CA

And here is the other, Joe Ghio's 'Explicit'. This one did not bloom for me until the second year, and when it did I just stood around oohing and aahing. The falls are actually darker than the picture shows, a deep blackish burgundy -- wonderful!

Thumbnail by Betja
Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Betja, Sotto Bosco is also a rebloomer... doubles our pleasure!

Bakersfield, CA

Yea!!!

Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

My favorite, of the iris that bloomed last year for the first time, was either Abiqua Falls...

Thumbnail by KSBaptisia
Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

... or Brussels

Thumbnail by KSBaptisia
Bakersfield, CA

What beautiful pictures! I have Abiqua Falls, too, and I really love it. It has such great substance. Brussels looks really gorgeous. Is it similar to Alpenview (I think that's the name)?

Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

I have Alpenview as well. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, but I think Brussels is a prettier iris. It has wonderful form and substance and its color seems "cleaner" for lack of a better word. Brussels is also a better grower, at least in this climate. Wintry Sky is still my all time favorite reverse amoena, but Brussels is close behind. Quite the Reverse is another good one.

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

That Abiqua Falls is b e a u t i f u l !!!! I knew I should have ordered that one.
Love the Lesley Painter's Brilliance too.

Bakersfield, CA

I think maybe I'm going to have to get Brussels now too. I just placed a large order with Mid-America last month, but I'm planning a trip up to Salem and now think I'm just going to have to check Brussels out if I can. That picture is absolutely perfect. Thank you!

Raleigh, NC

I'm going to post my choice for #1 after I see Dr. Epperson's garden in bloom.

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

How do you order from Joe Ghios? I love explicit and would like to know what his web site is. Thanks!

Bakersfield, CA

Unfortunately Joe Ghio does not have a website that you can order through. He may charge for his catalog (it has incredible pictures of his new introductions) or he may just send you one, and if you would like to request one his email address is:

ghiobayview@surfnetusa.com

If you would like to order 'Explicit' through a website, both Mid-America Garden and Napa Country Iris Garden have it this year. Check them both out, as they have wonderful pictures!

www.mid-americagarden.com
www.napairis.com

Cherryvale, KS

Happy Saturday BIF's!!! I can't pick a favorite, so I'll share a few! pic Evening Drama

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

We were out weeding like crazy today. Hope I can move tomorrow! pic In The Spotlight

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Hope you all have a great Easter! pic Jaw Dropper

Thumbnail by NickysIris
North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

That orange "Brilliance" is just stunning, stunning stunning. Lus I love hot colors. I just looked and I see mid America carries it. I just might have to order :-))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.