Shade plants for back deck pots

Cambridge, MA

Hi all,

I've tried to plant flowering annuals on my back deck these past few summers in pots and they haven't flourished. Last summer I noticed that the neighbor's maples are blocking all the sunlight (not true when I first moved in here). Any suggestions for pretty shade plants for a deck garden in pots?

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Is it really heavy shade? If you want flowers in the shade, then I would recommend impatiens or begonias. I've used Torenia, too. Lots of people like coleus for color in the shade, but some coleus does like a little sun. And then of course any of the shade perennials work nicely in combo containers- ferns, hosta, hakone grass, heuchera, or creeping jenny for a good trailer.

Here's one of my shade containers from a few years ago-" Sinbad" Begonia, Torenia "Magenta Moon", and Hakone grass

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Here's the same pot last year, with impatiens, fern, (and Boston Terriers ;)) Really, for a pop of color in the shade, I don't anything beats impatiens. This container really only gets dappled light all day, with direct sun at dusk. And hakone grass is awesome too.

Thumbnail by Noreaster
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yep impatiens are one of the best annuals for shade, I love begonias too.
Add to that list- primula, bergenia, viola, nicotiana and tiarella

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes, violets will reseed themselves too.....I have some that are trying blooming now. ^_^

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

my favorite shade plants are coleus, begonias, torenia, mimulus and impatiens

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Laminum, Colocasia esculenta, Heucheras

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.