Fertilizing Japanese Maples planted last spring 2009

Hi,
In the spring of 2009, I planted three Japanese maples--an acer palmatum 'Fireglow', an acer palmatum dissectum 'Waterfall,' and acer shirasawanum 'Aureum.' I plan on putting a topdressing of compost down and then mulch around these trees this spring. Should I also fertilize them, and, if so, with what? I have read to be careful to not overfertilize Japanese maples, that they don't need much if any fertilizer. I also read somewhere to add a Peace of Mind brand fertilizer at bud break in the spring (it has a NPK ratio of 4-8-5). I've also heard a product called Superthrive recommended (a B-vitamin supplement and root stimulator) and liquid seaweed as a foliar and/or soil application that can boost plant health and help plants with any stress like wind burn, sun scald, etc. I only read this in one place so I wanted to see what others recommend.
FYI, I researched how to plant my Japanese maples thoroughly before planting, so they are planted with good drainage and a balance of organic material. They are planted in morning sun, afternoon shade. I really love them, and I just want to make sure I do whatever I can for them this spring to help them along. I'm in zone 7, Richmond, Virginia.

jhart

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Some folks fertilize some don't it's a choice not a rule.. and allot depends on your soil . The only exception is containers, those you have to fertilize or your plant will not do well over time. Yes ideally a low nitro fertilizer is best but I think spending allot of money on fertilizer or special supplements for planted out trees where the soil is not clay or sand is kind of like spending money on vitamins and supplements for yourself even though you have a good well rounded diet... basically it is a bit foolish .. but it's not my money ...In containers you want a fertilizer with minors and trace minerals to get the best results .. Growers in Oregon use a 15-9-12 formula .(not your typical choice of many JM know it all's with their low dose formulas).. and we have all seen these growers results ... Ideally rose type low N fertilizer is great but it probably doesn't matter allot...The main thing with containers is salt and other mineral build up that can severally hurt your tree over time .. but JM's grow so fast that the need for repotting tends to mitigate that and watering will wash allot of that away during the summer months. The only thing stated above that really is important is to do so in spring as to not encourage late growth in fall which can cause winter die back.
David(san)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.