Improving our soil: need help

Cambridge, MA

Hi all,
I have a small plot of garden in full sun with terrible soil...mostly mulch and rocks...plants are not healthy there. Husband and I plan to dig it up, put in new soil, perhaps add compost, enrich the entire area for new planting this spring. I have some perennials there that I want to preserve, and also lots of bulbs.

My question is: We live near Boston, MA. and I want to know how soon can we do this. Now? I plan to dig up the perennials, pot them while we are redoing the soil, and then replant them.

Does this sound like a good idea?

NOTE: This photo is an old one from early in the summer; I couldn't find the full summer ones.

Thumbnail by segurry
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Google Lasagna Gardening.
I use this method to avoid tilling the soil.
I am working on this small plot and am nearly done.
I am using compost as a first layer and then will mulch.
I would start now and leave the area for several months.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

The timing is fine as long as you are able to hold the perennials in the pots until the weather is warmer. The more organic matter you add the better. Good luck!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Absolutly Victor.
Last year I put the layers on in March and tried to plant perennials in April when they started to arrive.
Sometimes I live my life backward.
It was horrible digging holes thru newspaper and sod. The garden was much more managable by July and September was a dream.
No plans for the new extension to my Woodswalk garden. Unless I didnt plan where plants go in other places and I need the room. After I lay some mulch on the manuer I will place pots of coleus and caladiums on top.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

seg as long as you can work the dirt you are good to go - pot them up and keep them watered and dig out the old soil and bring in the new.

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Is that some kind of tree in than bed? That could be giving the plants there some root competition, which could also be a factor if they are not thriving.

Cambridge, MA

Thanks all of you! And to Noreaster....yes, there is a huge, ugly arborvitae in the back of this little plot...but can't do much about that right now.

So I will get started soon...and share photos this summer!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.