Gardening on or near leaching fields

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I have a leaching field in clay based soil, that has one plastic perforated pipe (about 50' long) layed on a gravel bed, 18" below grade with 12" to 24" high soil piled 4-5' wide across the top. We use limited chemicals and very little actually goes down the drain. Laundry water is drained seperately to another location. I have done considerable research online, but still have a couple of questions.

I'm thinking of planting flowers on the leaching field mound and have found an extension office list of suitable flowers. There is a 12' tall Maple growing on top of the leaching field already (it was a volunteer and is located about the middle), that I read should be removed. Problem is, I really like it's location. I don't know if I'd be able to dig it out, plant it elsewhere and nurse it along to save it. I'd like feedback on this issue.

The next issue is that I would like to start a tomato plot, with the nearest edge to the leaching field edge being 20'. Would any bacteria seep that far horizontally to risk spreading diseases to the tomatoes?

Lastly, regarding the dead brush and weeds that I've been pulling off the leaching field, is it safe to burn them where the intended garden would be without harming the soil or tomatoes, assuming it's safe to plant there. I don't want to take any chances with bacteria or diseases on the tomatoes.

Appreciate all thoughts and opinions.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

My gut says that maple has got to go. call the septic guys in your health department and see what they say. If tree roots can cause problems in pipes that are supposedly sealed, then won't they be even more a problem getting right in your perforated leaching pipes? well, except that your leaching pipes are supposed to only carry clear fluid, no paper, or other solids. Do you have room for a new drain field in case this one DOES get full of tree roots?
I don't know the answer to the tomato plot proximity question. Recent food contamination problems have me all confused on that.
Burning the weeds should not carry a risk of disease I'd say.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Sally, thanks for replying.

You're probably right. But it's one of only 2 trees in our 2 acre "yard" and I just hate the idea of losing it. I doubt I could transplant it.

As far as the tomatoes go, I have plenty of room to plant them elsewhere. This location would just be the most convienent location for me. But the contamination possibilty worries me, too.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'd hate to lose it too! With two acres and only two trees, maybe you'ld be willing to take a chance and have to replace the drain field. Better yet I think you should really consider where you'd like the shade and get new trees going ASAP. Then in a few years you might feel ready to remove the maple. Young trees do grow fast and 'may' be safe/ safer nearer the tank. Least I hope so- I have a good sized maple right next to my tank and they didn't comment at all when we had new drain done several yrs ago.

I would have not worried about contamination but with one of the recent food poisonings I think I read that they decided the bugs were INSIDE the plant cells, not on the surface. 20 feet sounds like a generous margin but I just don't know what they think.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I talked to DH this morning about the tree and he's not overly concerned about it's location on the leaching field. But he's going to rent a bobcat this summer to do some other work, and we'll decide then whether to move it or not.

I decided not to plant the tomatoes in that spot. It's probably far enough away from the leaching field to be safe, but I just don't want to take any chances.

Appreciate your thoughts on it!

Baldwin City, KS

I have heard/read about rural Chinese farmers using night soil to fertilize their crops. Supposedly this night soil has not been "processed" through a septic tank and distributed through a leach field.

I am interested in a legit answer to this question because the large area over the leachfield is now producing grass.

Harvard, IL(Zone 5a)

As the late, great Lewis Grizzard once said: "The grass is always greener over the septic tank!"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.