My Spring Garden

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Sit back and enjoy some pics I just took. The garden has been going strong since August

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Some Georgia Collards

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Red Cabbage

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

strawberry plants - been pickin daily since Jan. 1st

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

One of my 50 tomato plants

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Romaine lettuce

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Curley Parsley This plant is 3 feet wide

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Some Romas

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

One row of stacked strawberry plants

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

The onions are staring to bulb

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

going to have plenty of tomatoes this year

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm having good luck with bells this year

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Flip said he was going to plant one tom plant per Earthbox, so I'm trying the same thing. This is the last planting this season. By mid June it gets to hot to grow anything. I start all my plants by seed and this baby is 6 weeks old

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Some more Romaine Lettuce

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

This is about 1/6 of my garden

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Getting hard to walk around

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

A row of tomatoes

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

My last green cabbage

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

my orange tree flowering

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Crestview, FL

Bob: Beautiful foilage and plants. I'll take the one in the first picture sitting next to you off your hands anytime you're ready. LOL Your leaves are such a deep green color and your tomatoes sure look fabulous.
joy

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Bob, you look very self satisfied in that first photo!
I tried Romain seed in one of my EBs this winter, and it never sprouted! Any advice? The spinach went like gangbusters, but I only got 1 romain. I finally gave up and put in leaf lettuce. So. Cal. didn't get as cold as Fla this winter!
Carol

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Carol, I opened a packet of Long Island Cos 2 years ago and started seeds from them 20 times or so. They all sprout everytime in about 2 to 3 days. No secret except I lay them on top of the mix because I have read lettuce needs light to germinate. I don't know if it's a fact, but it has worked for me.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Sure didn't for me! I barely covered the seed the first time. When that didn't work, I tried again, just pressing them onto the soil...no luck. The leaf lettuce all came up fine! Oh well, time to replant with summer crops.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Congratulations. Bob! What a beautiful garden AND garden helper you have!! All those containers of various sizes and kinds are definitely THE solution to gardening troubles - like the sandy soil I have, & I know South FL has, too - it won't hold water at all! I am an old "new" gardener - seems like I have never progressed passed the very beginner stage, but now that my kids are grown & married, maybe....! I tried EBs for the first time last year, but was overcome by hornworms & stinkbugs on the tomatoes - only got 1 for ME to eat!! Did get some fabulous Romaine last fall, but i failed to harvest before a severe freeze, or cover, so.... But, I am determined! And inspired, after seeing your amazing crops!! Thanks! Samantha

Corte Madera, CA

Bob, I always enjoy looking at your plants! But what really caught my eye is your little helper! How gorgeous!

And what a rebel. No cover on that EB with a lone tomato.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Bob -- Your granddaughter is the cutest of them all. Such a sweet smile with her granpa. I know how you feel about her as I'm the same with my grandson. Yeah, I had to cut way back on my EBs but that's OK as you are growing enough for all of us. I'm amazed the frost we had this winter didn't harm your crops? Must be that fertilizer you use!

Crestview, FL

TPlant: His fertilizer is the greatest, I didn't have one tomato last year with BER at all, so I'm using it again on my tomato startings this season.
joy

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Bob,
I got a couple questions regarding when you started the seeds for the veggies in your pics. You said "going strong since August". Did you sow the seeds in August?

Also, will you have enough cool weather for those Red cabbages to mature? When did you sow seeds?

What variety of Bell Peppers are you growing?

How many onions in the flat grow bags? Variety? From seeds or plants?

That's All!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Do you think it would be ok to put a tomato in one end of the EB and a watermelon plant in the other end. ( Instead of another tomato.)

Great pictures. What inspiration.!!!

I would say it would be OK and a good idea. Just remember the melon vines will grow east to west so set up your EB accordingly or you will tangle with your tomato plant.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I think I might try a few. Every year I say im not growing another melon. Worms get me every year. But, its another year and of course Im trying again.

Glory -- That is strange as I've never had a problem with worms or any insect! Try Ortho Garden Spray for Vegetables and follow directions as it works fine for me. Spectracide is another fine product. Just make sure all say for vegetables. Good Luck and let's work togeather on this one this season and share info? OK?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

You got it!! I dont have room to mess around.
Whats your best red meaty juicy and sweet melon?? Something with the texture of a watermelon, not a cantalope. I find the texture of some of the unusual ones a little slippery.

Mickeylee or Crimson Sweet served icey cold so it's crunchy eating. Yum!! Can't wait for my babies. Still unable to plant seed because of weather and my garden scooter not complete. This cool damp weather is horrible for my arthritic shoulders....so I must stay inside. My son, I hope, will finish my garden scooter as I was half way finished but the shoulders started hurting and fingers were getting numb. All part of that miserable cursed post polio syndrome. Thank God it no longer exists for the children that have taken the vaccine that was not available to me in 1944.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

I'm not a big watermelon grower. But I agree with T.....Crimson Sweet is a good one. Probably the only one I will grow this year. I might scatter in a few bush varieties like last year but their taste is all over the board. Very inconsistent for me.

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

Do melons really grow with an east-west orientation? I've never heard that before. Is that true of things like squash as well?

My melons always have!! You will see.

Paw,
That's a great tip to know. Yesterday, while I was moving a MOUNTAIN of leaves my neighbor threw across the fence for me, I was trying to decide where to plant zuchinis. Then I thought I could run them along the fence and down back toward the bayou drop off. It runs in the east-west direction! My concern is them running along the fence toward the west and running smack dab into my EBs which sit on the same fenceline. Suggestions? Keep em clipped back so they only run east toward the back dropoff?

You can't trim watermelon or even disturb the vines as they may not produce ? But they do grow very well down hill as they love to run free...

ANOTHER great tip! Where's Bob these days?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.