Camera Corner (What Kind of Camera Do You Use, Vol.3)

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Time for a new thread. We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/937664/

2dCousinDave= Canon 1D Mark IV, Mark III, the 7D, 5D, the 40D, the 20D, D30 LENSES: 200mm f/1.8, 400mm f/4 DO IS, 500mm f/4 IS and the 600mm f/4 IS. 1.4x TC.
2racingboys = Olympus E620 DSLR with the 40-150mm
adelbertcat = Pentax K100D
bebob = Canon PowerShot S3 IS
Beclu727 = Olympus SP560
bgrumbin = Kodak P712 (7.1 megapixel 12x optical 5x digital enhancement)
Billyporter = Kodak Z650 Zoom
bluebirdsnbells = Nikon 3000, Sony CyberShot DSC-S75 Lenses: 18-55mm & 55-200 mm
brianguy = Nikon D90
bsharf = Sony DSLR A100
Burd_FotosCanon Powershot S5is, Canon Rebel T1i 500D, EFS-18-55mm and 55-250mm, 400mm f5.6
Burn_2007 = T1i with a 70- 300mm IS lens. Fuji FinePix S5700 s700
ceejaytown = Canon EOS 30D
cindylove = Film: Minolta XGM
cshirsch = Nikon D300, Nikon D90 Lenses: 300mm Nikon ED f2.8, 400MM Nikon ED f5.6, and 500mm Nikon ED f4
claypa = Sony DSC-H2
crazybirdlady51 = Olympus Sp550UZ
critterologist = Nikon P90. Sony DSC-TX1
dellrose = Canon EOS 40D
dinu = Panasonic DMC-FZ8
dragonfly62 = Fuji Finepix S700
ducbucln = Canon 7D , Canon XTi Lenses: Canon 100-400mm lens, Canon 70-300 mm lens with image stabilization. 1.4 Kenko teleconverter
DWMike Olympus C5050 point and shoot camera; Canon XSi 450D dslr camera Lenses: Canon 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 EFS IS; Sigma 50-500mm f4.0-6.3 EX APO-DG
duckmother = Nikon D60 200mm
Elphaba = Kodak Z740 Zoom
f_chisolm = Canon 400D: 300mm lens
gardenpom = Olympus Evolt 500 SLR with 70-300mm lens.
goldfinch4 = Canon PowerShot SD700IS
Grandmaggie = Kodak Z612
GrannyGrunt = Kodak P850 Zoom
Grasmussen = Panasonic DMC-FZ50
Hczone6 = Nikon D200
Indiana_lily = Panasonic DMC-FZ8
JuneyBug = Samsung 10.2 WB500
katie59 Nikon Coolpix
kennedyh = Canon EOS 300D
kniphofia = Sony H50
lilyfantn = Nikon D70
linthicum = Nikon D70 with a Sigma 50-500mm; Nikon D200 with a Nikkor 500mm prime lens
MargaretK = Canon 40D,
Methodical = Canon 5D MkII, Canon 1D MkIII along with the 50D (sidekick), 400mm 5.6, 500mm f4 IS, 300mm f/2.8 IS
Mrs_Ed = Kodak DX7590, Kodak Z8612, Canon 7D, Pentax K100D Super (soon for sale), Wingscapes 2.0 Birdcam
Nanny56 = Canon PowerShot SX20 IS, Fuji FinePix S80000fd
NM_Jane = Canon Rebel XTI, Panasonic DMC-FZ28
OPbirder = Samsung Digimax L60, 6.0 mp, 3x optical zoom
PanamaCreel = Nikon D300
PeeperKeeper = Olympus SP550UZ
pelletory = Canon 400D: w/ a Sigma 50-500mm lens.
Resin = Fuji FinePix E550
rogue_designer = Mostly film cameras (4x5, and 120 and a bunch of 35mm for street work); Nikon D100,
rntx22 = Nikon D200
SadieMae = Kodak DX7590 Zoom
sacarvounisCanon EOS Rebel XSi. The kit came with a 70-300 zoom/macro lens
Shan71 = Kodak Z712 IS
Shelia_FW = Nikon D50
snakeadelic Canon PowerShot A720 IS
syndicate1 = canon dslr xsi; lenses: 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 50 f1.3
Tabasco = Canon PowerShot S30
threegardeners = LUMIX(panasonic) DMC-FZ8
tigerlily = Canon T1i
TheHackster = Canon EOS 40D, Lenses: Canon 400mm f/5.6 L USM, 70-300 IS USM lens, 1.4 and 2 Tamron Teleconverter, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens.
VA_Wild_Rose = Canon T1i, Canon SD780 Lenses: Canon 70-300mm IS USM, 18-55mm, 55-250mm
wallaby1 = Nikon D40X
WaterCan = Nikon D90 w/ Nikon 70-300mm Lenses: Sigma 150-500 telephoto

This message was edited Dec 9, 2010 8:24 PM

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Hello all,

Since the last time this list was made, I've picked up a Sigma 150-500 OS lens and have stopped using the Spotting Scope/Nikon 5100 camera rig.

Hack

Marlton, NJ

Congrats Hack!!

Marlton, NJ

Bump! :-)

Sandusky, OH

Thanks for link on the last thread Pelle... I have only visited a few of DG's (vast) forum's and never knew there was a camera forum. lol

Sandusky, OH

Has anyone ever used a Canon 400mm f5.6L with success? I was about to chuck it into the lake after not getting (any) good shots today. lol I even used a remote but no luck, can the dioptric dial be my problem? The birds look good through the eye-piece but when I enlarge my shots to view, they are blurred. Now I know the lens does not have "is" but I thought with my shutter speeds at 1/4000 I would get some sharp shots. Any thing really close has not been a problem. I am adding 2 shots. Am using auto-focus is that a mistake? Any help would be "very much" appreciated.

Unedited shots..

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

Same shot but cropped, Eagle was about 100 or so feet away...my 250mm lens would have fared better even with cropping.

Edited to say...feel free to view the exif..data if that helps.

This message was edited Mar 20, 2010 7:20 PM

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Marlton, NJ

Burd, When you zoom out a little further is the tree more in focus? Are you using a tripod?

Sandusky, OH

Yup, was using a tripod as usual, tree was just as blurry, I have about 30 shots of the Eagle, all pretty much the same result.

Sandusky, OH

Not sure how much better my shots would be with a heavy duty tripod, but after using the remote and not touching the tripod for the shots I was surprised to see the way they came out and my hand held shots are horrible, didn't matter either I used auto focus and manual. "is" on lenses hasn't been around forever...i,m baffled right now.

PERTH, Australia

Burd, I use the 400mm f5.6 all the time and love it. I handhold all my shots. From information Methodical linked me to several months ago, I almost always use the centre focus point only. If I'm wanting to focus on anything else within the screen away from the centre, then I'll change the focus point to that area only. I set the lens to the 8.5 - infinity setting for nearly all photography, except when needing to focus on something inside 8.5 metres. I keep the shutter speed as fast as I possibly can and try to keep the ISO at 400 or below. I've read on several occasions that lenses don't give their best when on their lowest or highest f-stop, so I try to avoid using them, if possible. I try to have the f-stop at at least 6.3. I always use autofocus. I nearly always use the settings (not the focus) at manual.

If the eagle was only 100' away, I'd sure expect a sharper pic than that. The ospreys on the nest are 80' from where I view them and moving to another part of the embankment takes the distance out to about 100'. Depending on the light, I've found the best combination has been 1/3200 sec at f6.3 or 7.1.

I've found that for birds in flight, if there is low contrast between the bird and the background the lens hunts around a lot. I miss a lot of ospreys down low over the water because the contrast isn't there. I've also learnt that there's no point in trying to take distant shots of birds with the lens as it simply doesn't have the reach.

The diopter dial shouldn't have any effect on the sharpness if you're using autofocus. If you're focussing manually, I guess what you see as sharp may not coincide with what the lens sees, but I dunno.

I'll see if I can find the links that Methodical posted or Meth, if you're out there, maybe you could repost them. They were really useful.

Burd, I used to use a 300mm lens. I took it down the river with me last time I went there and I found it a big, clunking thing that hunted around like crazy. I can't imagine myself using it again.

Of course, you may have a faulty lens, although since you've had it you've posted some really sharp images.

Sandusky, OH

Thx Margaret. I use the center point for my shots unless I,m shooting a group then I,ll light them all, however I did have the camera set at f/5.6 maybe that's the problem, I'll try what you suggested. Thank you.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Burd... go over to the Canon forums and search around. I know there has been some talk about the T1i not doing a grand job with autofocus on a number of lens choices. Try a couple shots with manual focus nd center-point metering and see what you et before tossing that lens. I'll bet it's a problem with the autofocus. I've been using the manual setting with my T1i more and more these days.

Sugar Land, TX

I mostly use a Nikon D300 now. Still have my D90 and use it now and then but mostly the D300. My main lenses are (all manual focus) 300mm Nikon ED f2.8, 400MM Nikon ED f5.6, and 500mm Nikon ED f4

This message was edited Apr 12, 2010 7:16 AM

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone.. I am presuming you are all using digital cameras? I am a die hard film person myself as I have had negative experiences with digital photos. Now I am sure there are good cameras out there so I am open to digital.

I majored in photography in college so I guess that's why I am a die hard film person! hahaha.. I especially wanted to learn to develop B/W. (which was 1st yr).
I have a Minolta XGM ( you can tell how old that is lol).. it works FABULOUSLY.. I have a 200 zoom.. a wide angle ( which I don't use).. & a portrait ( 28-80 appx angle).

Burd.. have you a way of changing the apeture on your camera? As it looks like you needed to have that to make everything in focus. I find that autofocus is not always reliable especially when there may be other things interfereing... like the wind.

I hope you don't mind me "tagging" along & giving my 2 cents worth even though I don't have a digital.All photography works the same whatever camera one has! hahahaha

Sandusky, OH

Quote from cindylove :
Burd.. have you a way of changing the apeture on your camera? As it looks like you needed to have that to make everything in focus. I find that autofocus is not always reliable especially when there may be other things interfereing... like the wind.

I have been keeping the aperture at 6.3 or 7.1 lately and have switched to spot metering and also using manual focus, this has improved my shots, also picking closer subjects too. :|

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Okay Mrs Ed, you can now officially add my new Canon 100-400mm lens to my list!! It got here late yesterday and I'll be busy playing with it for a while. By the way, I got it from B & H Photo but through BING so we'll get a small rebate back in 60 days. Seems like that's the only way to get this camera equipment cheaper.

This new lens brings me to almost 5 lbs with my 7D. Pretty hefty weight for me, but hopefully I'll build up some muscles that have disappeared since I retired and had to quit playing tennis.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

oh boy!

Stafford, VA

We can add my Nikon 3000 w/18-55mm & 55-200 mm lenses along with the older Sony CyberShot DSC-S75.

I really like the 3000 even though it is considered an "entry" level camera. It does the things that I wanted to do with the birds, that is be able to get good telephoto shots with or without a tripod, and it is easy to use.

David in Stafford, Virginia

This message was edited Apr 15, 2010 3:23 PM

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

Ducbucln.. 5lbs!! WOW... is there a tripod made for that?? hahaha..just kidding!! I really want a larger zoom lens but can't afford one! I find my 200 zoom is just not close enough.

Burd.. I am sorry you have had to compromise... have you tried asking the photo tech where you bought your camera?? They should be well informed on things like this.
I like reading about y'all's cameras.. it's starting to make me re-think about a digital! hahahahaha.

Stafford County, VA

Congratulations on the new lens, Duc. That is a great combination!

Dave

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

For Burd_Fotos

I use that lens and get very sharp photos even wide open.

One other thing you might want to try is a quick and easy check on autofocus. There are more precise methods out there, but this one is a good start.

Just put a yard stick or measuring tape in your yard angled a few degrees up and away from you at around 30 feet away. Put the camera in Av mode and put the lens at the widest open aperture = 5.6. Set it to use only the center focusing point. Use a tripod and focus on the same exact point, midway on the ruler. You might have to experiment to get a good angle.

Take two photos, one with autofocus and one that you manually focus, but focus on the same exact spot both times.

See if autofocus focuses in the same spot as you do when you manual focus. If the manual focus photo is focused on the point where you manually focused, but the autofocus one is not, then you might need to send the lens to Canon to be calibrated.

I had to do this with my 100-400 lens. It was way off.

Good luck,
Patti

Sandusky, OH

Quote from P_Edens :
For Burd_Fotos

I use that lens and get very sharp photos even wide open.

Would dirt in the camera itself cause it to not focus correctly? I currently have some dust inside the camera and it doesn't seem to want to remove it with the self cleaning mech. My 250mm has been working fine..but it has (IS).

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I don't think so. I've gotten quite a bit of dust in my camera and it has never affected auto-focus. I just use a rocket blower to remove most of the dust and then I use a LensPen to swab the filter on top of the sensor for the rest. Since I always shoot outside and change lenses frequently, I end up cleaning my sensor every few weeks.

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

I now have a Canon T1i, after wearing out the shutter on the 30D. Wondered why I hadn't been able to get a clear sharp shot for so long.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Congratulations on the new camera Tigerlily!

Sandusky, OH

Quote from P_Edens :
I don't think so. I've gotten quite a bit of dust in my camera and it has never affected auto-focus. I just use a rocket blower to remove most of the dust and then I use a LensPen to swab the filter on top of the sensor for the rest. Since I always shoot outside and change lenses frequently, I end up cleaning my sensor every few weeks.

There is a camera shop around my area somewhere I just haven't located it...definitely want to pick-up some cleaning equipment.
Thanks!

Congrats on the new lens Duc! Your photo's are outstanding!
Congrats on the new camera Tiger! I didn't know shutters could wear-out, thanks for the info.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Tigerlily... You'll love the T1i!

I just got a new lens! It's an upgrade for me, but baby steps for some! I just got the Canon 70-300mm IS USM! Yay!

Sandusky, OH

Congrats on the new lens VA_Wild_Rose!

Marlton, NJ

VA, Congratulations and best of luck with the new lens!!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Wild Rose, congratulations on the new lens. I think you'll be quite happy with it.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

I just discovered this "new" camera thread and wanted to comment.

Thanks pelle, since I got the Sigma 150-500 (aka Bigmos) I haven't used my Canon 70-300 that came with the 40d very much. All my pics on the last 10, or so, Daily Pics threads have been taken with the Bigmos.

Burd_Fotos your problems with the Canon 400mm f5.6L is a puzzle to me. Everything I could think of has been offered by others. A 1/4000 shutter speed should certainly have eliminated camera shake and produced sharper pics. Is it possible that you have a lemon? Is it still under warranty? If so, I'd contact Canon and see about sending it back to the factory.

cindylove, thanks for "tagging" along & giving your 2 cents worth. I use digital because I'm not rich, or good enough, to go with film. I like being able to just "throw away" a bad pic and try again, immediately. I enjoy you your skill.

ducbucln, Aw right! Hope you enjoy your new lens. 5 lbs with my 7D, huh. I have a wheel barrow you can borrow. :-)

bluebirdsnbells - Congrats on your Nikon 3000 w/18-55mm & 55-200 mm lenses. I have several Nikon products and they are top-of-the-line.

P_Edens, I also use a rocket blower and lens pen. Now, I have two Canon 40D bodies, one for birds (150-500 Sigma lens) and one for macroing insects (Canon 100mm Macro). That way I don't have to change lenses at all. Hopefully, that reduces the amount to dust and crude that gets inside the camera.

tigerlily, Congrats on the new Canon T1i, have fun.

VA_Wild_Rose, I too, have a Canon 70-300mm IS USM! You'll like yours. Furthermore, I also have Tamron 1.4x and a 2x tele-converters for it. The 70-300 pretty good with the 1.4 behind it . However, the 2x requires manual focus. I tried them on my 150-500 Sigma, but I have to get a long way from the bird to use them. But, like I said, the 70-300 does well with them. With the 1.4x the 70-300 acts like a 98-420 (multiply by 1.4) and the 2x makes it act like a 140-600 lens. I think you can go on Amazon.com, search for them and see pics that consumers have posted while shooting with the various tele-converters.

Hack

Sandusky, OH

I,m not convinced that my 400mm is a lemon quite yet, Ive been putting the aperture to a higher setting (could be my problem) there are a lot of variable's because this lens does not have (IS), which include tripod stability and getting the shutter speed higher...Ive gotten my ISO up to 800 and it is been ok as far as noise in the picture's while trying to obtain faster shutter speed's. After I get a house (what a pain lol ) I will get a 500mm f4.0 with IS and be done with it. lol A higher end camera would be nice too but not until my T1i has no more to offer. Maybe it just my nerves lately. lol

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Burd, unless the camera is a professional, the shutter is expected to last about 100,000 shots. I know I shot at least 500,000 the first two years I had the 30D, and for the last year I used it I never could get a sharp shot. Now I know why, after taking it in to a shop. Rather than spend the $450 to have it rebuilt and cleaned I opted for another couple hundred for a new, lighter weight model that has a built in sensor cleaner. I live in very dusty country, and keeping the 30D sensor clean was impossible, even though I almost never changed the lens.

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

I feel "old" amongst you all hahahahaha.. I've had my Minolta for over 30 years, & with two of the three lenses I have & it's still going strong.. have had to only repair it once & it hardly cost a thing.
Hack.. as to cost... it's not as expensive as you'd think.. if you know the tricks..just like digital. I agree, digital you can throw away a bad one but I feel that's the learning process hahahaha.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I now have a T1i with a 70- 300mm IS lens.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Cool burn. good camera with a good lens. The pics I saw on the last Daily Pics thread, were they made with you new stuff.

Hack

Sandusky, OH

Congrats on the new camera and lens Burn!! Looks like T1i sales are up! lol

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Yes Hack, the pictures I'm taking are from this camera. I still haven't learn everything there is to learn about it. I had the camera since Dec. but never mention it on this thread before. So it's not really new ;). I got a great deal on boxing day. Wish I had bought the 400mm lens instead of the 300mm. I'm missing a lot of birds in flight, because they are to high up.
Burd, I notice that too lol.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Burn, congrats on your new camera and lens. I was glad I got the 70-300mm lens first and then later got the 100-400mm. The longer lens is heavier with the IS and takes getting used to a little more, but I do love it. Maybe later you can get the second lens?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.