Anyone know any thing about poinsettia?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I have a left over variegated poinsettia from Christmas and I'm wondering what to do with it?? I tried looking it up and apparently there are a bunch of plants called poinsettia and I'm not sure if it's a full sun plant, needs a bunch of water or what to do with it. It's interesting looking BTW.

Sumter, SC

Hi Core, I planted poinsettias outside a couple years ago and they grew like crazy. One was 5' tall and very bushy. I was amazed at how much cold they took before finally succumbing to temps in the low 20's. My friend in Sarasota used to grow them outdoors year round, but stopped because they didn't change color. But the variegated variety would probably be interesting and pretty. Mine did well in light filtered sun, and the more I watered, the faster they seemed to grow. They were planted in sandy, well drained soil. I think they would perform well for you down in Bluffton. By the way, thanks for encouraging me to give sylvester palms a try last year! With 2 months of winter protection they stayed green and healthy. Life is good.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Glad the palm worked out well for you. I think a poinsettia needs cold to turn colors but it's one of those how much how long type of thing. Think I'll plant it in filtered light near some pines. Pretty much where everything goes if I don't know what to do with it. LOL.

Sumter, SC

I think poinsettias need cool nights (50's and 60's) and 12 hours of total darkness each night to trigger color. Also, the hours of total darkness must be consistent every night. I tried covering mine with extra large garbage containers, but I invariably forgot to uncover them at some point, thus rendering my efforts null and void. I've heard that even the light from a full moon will prevent them from changing color. That total darkness requirement makes me wonder how they change color in their native mountainous central American environments. Good luck!

Ladson, SC

I agree with donnacreationadvive They grow like weeds in Long beach Calif. and change color. I was lucky I kept a plant out side and it colored up some in Ladson.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.