Here we go... countdown begins.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

{For Miss ZZ & Miss Jester who wanted to know what happens}

Day 18 will officially start at midnight tonight, but just to be on the safe side I went ahead & started the humidity to rising. Eggs are flat in the carton & ready to start piping. I dreamed to cheeps & chirps... of fluffy little babies from about 5 am on.. only to wake up & realize there is a nest outside my bedroom window where a bird has hatched out her own little flock. Maybe the sounds will entice mine to hatch.

{Good morning, Good morning says the little bird, with a wing on the left & a wing on the right, it flies high in the sky to take its morning flight.}

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Awww Thank you Greykyttyn! Will wait to hear pip reports! Sending positive thought of multiple pips. :)

Motherbird Out

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

no pips yet... still watching.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

but i may have just sold some chicks if I want to start another hatch for someone. :)

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Is it true that a watched egg never pips? LOL! I'm in a silly mood this afternoon....

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

No, not true Loreen, and I also found out you can't stare a hole in them.. they have to do it themselves. :)

I don't anticipate any pips till at least tomorrow or Friday from this hatch.. but who am I? LOL

Great news Greykyttyn! Who are you hatching for and what is it?? Exciting.. :)

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

They stare a hole themselves?! And all these years I thought they used their beaks, their little bitty eggtoothie...
my science teacher is in big trouble.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

a friend stopped.. wants green eggs.. so i may try to hatch out some of EE's for them.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I am going to get back to work now before I start in on 'green eggs & ham' HAHAHAHA!!!!

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

ugh.. tornadoes.. 70 mph straight line winds... quarter sized hail! its gonna be a LONG night.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Oh no! I'll keeping you in my thoughts tonight!

Edited thought to thoughts.....I usually do have more than one thought each night....lol.

This message was edited Mar 10, 2010 5:10 PM

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Do keep us posted Greykyttyn.. I'm a lil worried..

LOL @ Jay and Loreen.. :)

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

weather has passed for now. Tornado went east of me. (second one ZZ.. since i last talked to you...) We r under warnings till midnight.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Do you usually get tornadoes this time of year?

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Bill's aunt is near Sarcoxie....should we be worried?

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

um.. idk.. It should be there about now I believe.. let me check..

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

they look to be in the clear at this point

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Glad all is okay.. a few tense moments there kiddo!!

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Thank you GK!! He is going to call her tomorrow to make sure all is well. Happy all is well with you!!

Ferndale, WA

Hi Sweetie: I'm waiting and watching with you, glad the tornado went around you, now is not the time to lose power, or even worse roof and shingles. Just relax darling your not going to have pips this early. Day twenty possible but day twenty one is a great number. I hope you have little peeps all over the place...LOL. Hay.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Hello?? We need an UPDATE HERE!!

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I sure hope her power isn't out :(

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

ZZ was the one all flustered thinking I"d have pips early.... She's miscalculated her days. :) Had me a whole day early... then a whole day late... Its more fun right now watching her be all flustered.

power is ok... cell phone did go out for a bit tho.

no pips...

BUT do not let baby chicks who sleep next to your bed gorge themselves on food right before your bedtime. They stuff themselves then fall asleep like little babies.. only to wake at 4 am.. WIDE awake & ready to play.. and unlike a baby you can not stick a bottle in their beaks & say go back to bed. Although at one point i wondered if they were talking to the nonhatched babies telling them what to do....

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Quote from greykyttyn :
ZZ was the one all flustered thinking I"d have pips early.... She's miscalculated her days. :) Had me a whole day early... then a whole day late... Its more fun right now watching her be all flustered.

You've got ZZ in a fishtank? Now, that's entertainment! LOL

The hatched and the unhatched are plotting to take over the world... they know our defenses are weak at 4 am.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL @ Jay my defenses to the hatched and unhatched are weak 24/7!

On top of having the days mixed up.. I didn't realize they were incubated at a cooler temp... which can delay the hatch..
I thought bantams would hatch at 19 days.. A lot of them do.. but these are possibly crossed with LF which I don't know if that will affect the hatch day or not..

Not to imply that I've totally got it together.. we all know better than that! LOL

Now come on lil pips... come OUT! :)

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

well... if they are late.. could be a good thing considering i've got sumac posion all over my arms... i'd hate to make the little girls sick. (yes i said girls! think lots of good girl thoughts)

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Oh no GK! That's like poison ivy, yes? :(

Sending lots of frilly, sparkly? pink girly thoughts to the eggs.

ZZ - What is LF? Low Flyer? Lost Feathers? I thought I had learned all the chicken breed acronyms, I guess not.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

I just learned last night! Large Fowl. :)

worse than poison ivy.. i can sit in posion ivy, roll in it.. never get the crap. BUT poison oak & sumac.. ugh. it loves me.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I don't believe we have poison sumac here, the other two yes...and I've not been affected by either though it's been years and years since I've been around any.

Humansville, MO

hi
i just put 32 egg in my incubator
the will be sold as farm yard
special
i get 18 or 19 egg a day
out of 29
but some not laying yet
elle

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

it kinda grows like a pretty tree.. bright red leaves in the fall, very beautiful... (from a distance).. seems i didn't realize the leaves fall off in the winter. So i cut a whole fence row of it out Saturday. bathed both boys right quick bc they were sticky (not knowing why they were sticky) but it seems the hour i waited to get into the shower was too long. Oil soaked into my skin quite well.

Hi Elle! its nice to hear from someone in Humansville. I know its not too far away from me. My best friends parents live there. I'm surprised you get internet. When he goes home I can't talk to him bc the connection is so bad. 32 eggs.. wow! I thought my 19 was a lot.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Oh, we do have sumac trees here, none in our yard though. The only 'evil' tree we have in the yard is a Washington Hawthorne.....it gets thorns 3-4 inches long! I try to keep it limbed up so no one will poke out an eye.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

o yes.. my mother planted one of those evil things bc "it was pretty!" u do know those thorns have poison in them.. i stepped on one bc they on occasion fall to the ground. It was not a pretty sight. The stupid thing is my chickens love to roost in it! i try to keep it trimmed up to about 7 ft off the ground.

brb.. need to check for pips for ZZ

Lodi, United States

Sumac and Poison Sumac are different, though. Poison Sumac has white berries and is smooth.

http://www.poison-sumac.org/

Humansville, MO

hi
we have dial up which is slow
we are trying to get a chicken farm
we have rabbit,goat,chicken and dog
my hd is a farmer
we would like for me to stay home to
but we do not have enough money
i work in a nursing home and get ss
elle

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Quote from Catscan :
Sumac and Poison Sumac are different, though. Poison Sumac has white berries and is smooth.

http://www.poison-sumac.org/

Thanks! I don't have or want either in my yard.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

Sorry Catscan but that site is wrong for southwest missouri... poison sumac grows everywhere here & we are not considered a wet area. It is not hard to find, very common. Just drive down the road & it is the poison one not the non poisoned one you see. It lines the roadsides, fence rows, out in the middle of fields & edges of the woods. We are taught at an early age in school to avoid it like the plague along with poison oak & ivy as well as taught the differences so we don't cut down or destroy the non poison plants that look similar. Grows quite well in the woods. The worse years for it are the dry years. It pops up everywhere like crazy when we've had a dry summer the following fall. We do have the non poison sumac & winged sumac also.. you just don't see as much of it. I knew what I was looking at but was stupid enough to not think before i started chopping at it. I kept seeing bits of leaf left on the bush & thinking, I"m not suppose to touch this but i can't really remember why... but i was so worried about getting the fence fixed & distracted by the kids helping that I shoved the thought aside & kept cutting. unfortunately I've got about 100 ft more of it to cut out of our fence line.. & 10 feet of it back into the neighbors field... that's next weekend tho. Get this gone most of the way before i start again.

That's an interesting link tho. I wasn't aware it grew that far east from us.

(Zone 5b)

I've been watching this thread waiting for your babies, could you tell them to hurry it up? I'm so excited for you!!!

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

technically they shouldn't start till tomorrow night sometime.. but it was believed they would be a bit early.. so we started this early. So technically you shouldn't hear anything till tomorrow night sometime from what i understand. but trust me I"ll post with the first pip!

(Zone 5b)

Ha, I'll be waiting!!! Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.