Sowing seeds

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Can I put some seeds outside now and cover them with a milk jug, just like winter sowing? I'd like to get some flowers earlier, I have no room to start all the ones I have inside.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i am still doing it - go for it - it still gets pretty cold at night here.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

If you can warm up your soil first and then keep the seeds and seedlings warm you might have a chance. South facing areas are probably the best bet. My grandpop always planted his peas and spinach in NJ just after St. Patrick's day down in Trenton. And he put tomato plants in on his birthday, May 9. Can't do that up here. things would frost.
Martha

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have sown Larkspurs,Annual Poppies.Last November.
The poppies need a cold period or they wont germinate.
I will sow Zinnias and cosmose mid April when the soil warms up and as a back up plan I will also start some inside mid April.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am still putting some things out Jen.. I say go for it too

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

NewJersey is about a month ahead of upper NYS.
I have no advise.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

JoAnn, I just bought some poppy seeds, should I sow them now?

Jen, I planted some seeds in pots in early spring last year, and covered the pot with a milk carton and it worked well. I put a stick through the top of the carton to keep it from blowing off.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Debbi Yes they need a month of cold. I sow them in Dec thru March.
Go for it.
Be sure there is bare ground with no mulch. The seeds need contact with dirt. Dont bury them, just sprinkel and step on the spot to firm where they are.

Last year I did some anunal and perenial poppies right in the GH. I did not have a problem germinating them.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I so need a heater for my GH

There is a difference between germinating them inside and outside. I use the germinating soil which is very light and fluffy. Also the amount of seeds. If you have 1 packet of seeds you might get 75% of them to sprout.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I always over seed my WS'ed ones

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have this site saved--and I think it is time to post it again. It will help a lot--if you are not faamiliar what newly emerging seedlings actually look like.....This would beoutside--where seeds come up on thir own--not inside--where you know what you have seeded....
This is NOT all-inclusive! But good enough!
Gita

http://theseedsite.co.uk/db1.html

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Gita.

I tried a couple salvia and sweet william outside covered up, we'll see what happens.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

you should be alright with the sweet william jen - mine comes back and reseeds every year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.