long bloom morning glories

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Hello, my husband and I are taking care of the gardens at church. There is one area that has old fashioned clematis vines all along one wall that gets sun until around 2 in the afternoon. They bloom for such a short time, then there is nothing pretty there.

I've wondered if I could plant morning glories on the same trellises. Does anyone know if the morning glories would get along? I'm also wondering if there is a morning glory that blooms longer into the day.

Thank you very much for any advice.

Cathy4

Is the established Clematis one that has vigorous growth of leaves and vines? If it does, it may outcompete any MG vine you installed there. Maybe you could set up a few trellises for growing the MG vines separately from the Clematis? For perennial vines in your zone, maybe Ipomoea pandurata could be an option; I defer to others who have more knowledge of the hardy species for the MO area.

Welcome to the MG forum, if this is your debut message here.

Joseph

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Cathy - I agree with Joseph about the different vines competing. Probably not a good idea. But ... what about a Climbing Rose? There are several hardy ones for zone 5a. Just a thought. AND ... they both use the same fertilizer. :-)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=climbing+rose&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Thank you both for your answers, I will have to think of other ideas.

Monson, MA

Hi Cathy, I take care of the church garden also, and I did plant some morning glories with the clemantis, the clemantis were young so there is a lot of room for both. My grandsons put in garden stakes 4-5 ft high and used rolled fencing for clemantis to grow on....behind is a stone wall, didn't want the clemantis to actually grow onto the wall,put the fence about 8in from it...hopefully it will be more flowers this year. I do have the morning glories started in the house, it takes sooo long for them to get old enough to bloom and our growing season can be short...Good luck and God bless you and your DH!!

Thank you Ladyslipper, our clematis are overgrown, so I will do some thinning this year after they bloom, that should give enough light to the MG. The seeds didn't cost much so it will just be a fun experiment. I'd love to hear about other things you grow as we are taking over after a few years of neglect. God bless you, too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.