looking for some info on japanese maples

greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

so i have loved the jp's for a while but now i want to know more. i have seen a small cultivar, 6' or so in my neighborhood. what kind might i be looking at? crimson queen, perhaps. i would like to know more growth rate size the usual concerns. i live in zone 7 and the small ones that i've seen would be perfect but i don't want something that will get too big for the space that is there. can someone give some links or some pictures please.

Danville, IN

Check out the "Japanese Maple Selection Guide" (sticky) at the top of the Japanese Maple Forum. Lots of info there.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree, check out that sticky thread first, then maybe poke around at other threads here and see if you run across any pictures that appeal to you. Once you know things like what color you like, what type of leaf you prefer, and whether you want a certain growth habit we will be able to offer you more helpful suggestions.

If you want to spend a couple bucks, there is a pretty well-respected book by JD Vertrees on Japanese maples that you could buy that will give you a lot of great information.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

BTW the new addition of the Vertrees book is out at Amazon .. This is the complete hardcover update not the paper back tweener (like windows ME and Vista were to XP and Windows 7) I passed on that tweener knowing this was a comin'..I thought theat book was really bogus because of the short period the other was to come out that was advertised as more complete. Many folks bought the paperback w/out that knowledge and were basically ripped off . It is ok I guess as a field guide .. but it is unlikely it is often used as such as birder books or mushromm books are used to ID stuff since Id'ing Jms with or with a book is virtually impossible as most have likely found out.

.This is the forth addition ..#1 1978, #2 1987, #3 2001 So everything in the ladst publication of the "real book" is basically 9 or more years old. With countless new cultivars introduced yearly it should be quite useful especially for newer and often improved cultivars and fresh info on older ones. I should receive my copy in the next couple of weeks and let you know what I think then hopefully I will not be disappointed
Davidsan

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I have the 2001 hardback edition but I agree that with all the new cultivars since then I'm going to get the new edition as well.

What I would really love would be some kind of CD/DVD companion to the book. Something with additional pictures, maybe sortable characteristics, etc.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i have already received the new book - ordered it over a year ago and after a few delays it is finally here - i do not have any of the earlier editions - for a beginner i would get the pocket guide first - i found it very helpful.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

The Eastwoods nursery cd is about the best .. although it is now several years old, is very quirky and unless you have a pretty fast newer computer and will freeze up on you . It is also not very intuitive ... about what I would expect from an older nursery with good intentions but without the due diligence to make sure they were hiring the right firm to do it .lets just say it is sort of user friendly and leave it at that.. That is not to say that it is not useful, it is, and works well enough to be a companion to any Vertrees hard cover. I use it quite often as a quick reference .. I probably use it more than vertrees to refresh my memory on a certain cultivar I am not acquainted with... and until now they havce a ton of cultivars not listed in vertrees #1-3. Probably it's biggest shortcoming is it is only Palmatums and no Japonicum or Shirasawanum which should be a part of any JM book .. Yes there are a ton of Acer cultivars so I can understand leaving out most but some are specifically asian like the aforementioned...and those two are thought of in the same breath as Palmatums . It is a pity they were left off especially since their aren't that many of them and their addition would have been a minor task.
Davidsan

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

the new vertress appears pretty complete - it even has geisha gone wild and shirazz separately - although the descriptions at least geisha's references shirazz - happy to see they say shirazz can take full sun and it is a more vigorous grower than ggn. it is what i thought of shirazz based on where mine is planted.

will have to check out the eastwoods nursery cd - i downloaded the pdf's off greer's site and like that at least a few trees are shown in all three seasons.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, thanks Davidsan. I didn't know about that CD. I'll look into that as well. I think my computer can probably handle it. I would imagine that a CD could be more handy than book since we're so often on the computer when we are researching things anyway.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Most newer computers will do ok if you have at least xp it should as long as you have enough ram .. it takes quite a bit for what it is . The problem is with the file system that can jam up your computer . The best way to handle that is to load it up and let it sit for a bit.3-4 mins. before using it.. I think it just is fluky ... as I said whoever did it for them used oddball stuff .. probably proprietory or real cheap one of the two.. cause there are plenty of good programs that would have done a much better job. The photos are from both East and West cost some are from Herter with his blue background ( YUK!!). My biggest gripe is when you pull up a specific cultivar and look at it and then go back to the menu it goes to the beginning of the menu not where you left off .. that is a pain cause you then have to scroll down and continue with each individual cultivar you check out. As I said is ok but could be much better and is getting dated already as far as allot of new and some older stuff is not there.

Greers site photos are ok I think they are the best west coast retailer by far My only complaint with them is that Mr Greer ( who is a great guy BTW) overdoes his photoshopping .. I think he carried away and many of those photos are so pumped up with color you would never ever get that with one you grow. A good selling tool but not an accurate look at the tree IMHO. Buchholz has a much better more accurate photos ..but they are strickly wholesale .. you can't buy from them they are very strict on that and rightfully so... but you can look at they plant library.. be sure to type in the axact name .. close isn't good enough like horseshoes and hand grenades
Davidsan

This message was edited Mar 10, 2010 12:06 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.