Sun Parasol crimson mandevilla- cut back ?

Halifax, NS(Zone 5a)

I have this vine. Was a patio plant last summer with amazing growth and never ending blooms. I brought it in before frost (Canada)
and put in window. Was fine for awhile and then proceeded to drop all of its leaves. I thought it had died, but no it is budding from various areas, but on distal parts of last years growth. Should I cut it back hard ? Will growth then start from the base of the plant.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I live in Florida and have mine just outside my patio door. I asked a horticulturalist at our garden club this question - he said WAIT until it totally leafs out, then cut off all the branches that are obviously dead. For me, that will be sometime in mid-April.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Ooops I might have been to quick, with trimming mine down. But only cut half off. It has started to put out new shoots. It has lost a lot of the old leaves though.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I keep my mande's in the greenhouse and always cut them back to about 2 - 3 inches for the winter. Mine are just starting to put on new growth.

X

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I was wondering about that too. Mine is dropping leaves but had buds on it too, actually one has opened already, and a ton of new growth. I had meant to cut it back over the winter, but never got around to it. Think I'll do the same as Kay...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.