Redesign Bed - Can I transplant irises?

Convoy, OH(Zone 5b)

I am in zone 5a. I am redesigning one of my beds (always wanting to change things). I will be doing this work during the first two weeks of May - frost free date here is May 15th. I would like to move some of my irises at this time. Most of these irises are to bloom during early summer. They have been in the ground all winter (most were planted in fall of 2006 and some additional ones in fall of 2009).

What advise can you give me? Will they still bloom this year?

South Hamilton, MA

Depends on the cultivar for if they will bloom this yr. Bearded irises are usually moved in July when they are dormant. mark where you want them moved to & delay if you can. If you do move in May, get them back in the ground as soon as possible.

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

One spring I needed to move a row of about 20 irises. I took as much dirt as possible with the roots. Not one single iris that I moved bloomed for me that year. Now I always wait until after bloom to move them if I can. :)

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Wlmicroman, I always want to change things too :o)

They are due for dividing, but I'd get one last bloom out of them first if you can. I was able to get bearded iris from a friend in March. None bloomed till the next year. Some ended up so small I had to wait two years to see what I had. I also have to use borer control.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.