First Daffodils 2010

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

We finally have some things blooming around here! We have had a very late start compared to our "normal" sping - well at least I have.

These are "Sweetness"

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

These are "Carlton" - taken yesterday; it's raining today :-(

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

And "St Keverne"

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

There are "Grand Soleil d'Or" and ther leaves suffered severe freeze burn and I wasn't sure they were going to make it as the leaves on almost all of them had withered and browned (same thing happened with my Erlicheers) - but I am happy to say they all appear to be seiding up flower stalks and the flowers weren't too deformed. Not sure what kind of bloom I'll have next year though ;-( I know these have Tazetta bloodlines.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Ice Follies or something similar out back...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Still not much going on although the cherries I planted about theree years ago are starting to flower. Gardenia bush has brown leaves on it doe to the freezes but I think it is still alive...not sure if I'll keep it.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

A shot of the front - fortunately things are budding up. Nomally it looks like this at beginning of February!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

hiya steve. I will try to post daff pics today. My Monal is WONDERFUL! do you grow it?

When I first looked at the pic showcasing the cherry, I saw a lot of white and thought, oh no, more snow in Dallas??? The white driveway fooled me, lol.

My gardenias are ratty looking too. I want to yank them but since it's the only thing that DH has ever requested, I don't see how I can.

Your daffs are mighty fine. I think I have Carlton which I got from OHG, but foliage is 6" tall at best.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, how wonderfil! Thank you Steve. Through the melting snow I can see things popping up, but I think they are all iris reticulata, which is the earliest bulb for me.

Donna

well, what do you know. This is what greeted me earlier today during my inspection. The flowers on Carlton are HUGE!

This message was edited Mar 7, 2010 3:22 PM

oops, forgot pic

Thumbnail by vossner

here is a shot taken from farther away

Thumbnail by vossner

distant shot of Monal. I love the vivid orange cup on this one

Thumbnail by vossner

avalanche

Thumbnail by vossner

the @#$%& squirrels up to no good.

Thumbnail by vossner

even though these little guys are enthusiastic squirrel chasers, they are no match for the dang tree rats. My 80 lb lab who used to go after them w/ a vengeance is gone and it's like the stupid squirrels know it.

Thumbnail by vossner
Los Altos, CA(Zone 9a)

Oooooh...I am loving all these narcissi. Mine are almost done except for Kedron and Trevithian.

Monal is on my list for next year. The flared, ruffled orange cup is gorgeous!!

Chris

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wonderful, Voss. So nice to see them.

Chris! Any pics?

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Awesome pics, Nery. Aren't you glad you've gotten into bulbs?? :-)

Howdy Donna ;-) My first peony, Abalone Pearl, is strting to shoot out and I have double last year's stems! ^_^

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Stevie - fantastic. I'll wait for the post on the peony forum. I'm really excited abut them this year. Every one that I installed last year either bloomed or budded. Can't wait to see the new ones you sent in their second year, especially Burma Ruby, White Cap and Lois.

I think it's going to be a good year.

thank you all and I do feel proud, even if Mother Nature is the one that deserves credit. But I'm not above stealing credit.

Yes, very glad I got into bulbs. I even joing the pacific bulb soc. and bought some seeds of my favorite bulbs. While I stare at the beautiful daffs, I need to start planning my caladium buying. With the drabest of winters, I'm ready for in your face color when it warms up.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Great contrast on "Mona", I'll have to try them next time..

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Ooh, nice pictures Vossner & Steve!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Bulb tips are just now surfacing, ways to go up here, but its good to see Texan daffs

Fort Worth , TX(Zone 8b)

Steve, love your pictures! Thanks for posting them.

I need to update my posting as well, because lots is happening out there. This weather is the best.

Nancy

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Nancy, Lisa. FINALLY things are starting to really happen here. And donna - I am getting excited about the peonies too. My veteral Abalone Pearl is really shotting up and I counted at least 8 flowerbuds today (came home at lunch and took some pictures of the garden!) and my new AP has four flowerbuds on it and is really quite developed.

First Sunny day Nancy and i have had in some time - temps even broke 70! Supposed to rail again tomorrow though :-(

Some City of Haarlem hyacinths

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Some blue ones that have been in the ground for several years

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
somewhere, PA

You guys are killing me! I was just jumping up and down
with glee over the first crocus to bloom 2 days ago. Still
lots of snow on the ground here.

Seriously, wonderful pictures. Thanks!

Tam

Fort Worth , TX(Zone 8b)

Vossner, Love your Monal! The colors really pop. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Steve, I put a bunch of new things on my "bulb project" thread. It's getting exciting out there. So beautiful today!

I am with you guys, thinking it will be a good year for peonies. We didn't need to dump ice on the roots this year, did we! (Not that I ever did it anyway.)

Nancy

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Some little orange-cupped daffs

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Speaking of peonies, here is my four-year-old Abalone Pearl which is always the first to rise.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Took this one this morning....

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Steve your place always, always looks just amazing.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

One more shot in front...Why thanks Tracey! I am hoping to have an exciting bloom season this year...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I always have to come on Steves threads and say YAY! when I see the bulb pictures. It always means spring is right around the corner, here, too.

I'll have to add Vossners pics into my YAY! this year.

So YAY!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Yayyy!!! Our southerners have blooms! So glad to see the show has finally begun :-)

Steve, so odd to see your bloom time so close to our typical bloom time. I've even read reports of gardeners in the UK being weeks behind. Now that it's started, it'll just keep getting better!

Nery, what a glorious display you've got already! Gorgeous!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Happy to oblige, Polly - and Neal!

Here are some hyacinths I caught tonight - boss was in town and I managed to get home just before dark tonight...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

A few more things open today

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Daffodils are the best part of Spring!

Thumbnail by BeaHive

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.