Who has Hostas in pots?

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I need to move about 98 or so hosta this spring. I have another 40-50 something at my mother-in-law's house I moved to her house last year. We had a tornado back in June that took out a huge tree that blocked all of my hot afternoon sun. Other trees were severely damaged too & main limbs were broke. Now it's pretty much full sun & hostas have to be moved or they will fry. I don't really have a place where I can plant all of these hostas, but thought maybe containers would work. I have a few giants, but they aren't 'giant' yet & won't be for probably several years. I have mostly medium/small plants with maybe 15 or so mini's.

This photo shows the size of some of them. Many are a bit smaller.

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I have a small collection of heuchara also that needs to be moved it they made it.
I'd like to pot these as well.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2010 9:30 AM

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

I have grown hostas in pots for years. You just need to keep your eye on the soil, it tends to dry faster.
Christine

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I can't think of anything that can't be grown in pots. At least for a while. I've had Hosta 'Guacamole' in a pot for several years. It is beautiful every year. Zone 6b.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

2racingboys
I have used Hosta's in pots for years and due to my zone, 3b, move them into the ground for the winter. Same with the Heuchara's. I would even bet that in a pinch the big 5 gallon pails would work for you too. Are you able to put the pots in the shade?
What about using umbrellas to help with shade or is it too big an area?
I know that my Mini's are grouped together in a raised planter which is very similar to pots and a few of the girls I garden with all have their Mini's in pots so they show better and don't get lost in their gardens. For us the question is more of making it through the winter with protection than the summer sun.
Good luck with your project!
Ann

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I 've got Hostas and Hucherias both in pots. I've been putting all my flowers in large containers the last couple years and all have been doing great.You do have to water more. I get my potting soil from a local nursery. A good type that omes from Canada.
The thing i like best about containers is you can rearrainge your garden anyway and anytime you like.Last year i rearrainged my pots several times for a better color combos. I've got about 30 large pots and just bought 2 more. I also use some styrfoam ice chests for containers. With plants hanging over the sides. They make a statement.
Here the danger of freezing is great also. I have an abundance of oakleaves and mulch pots and all every winter.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Freezing doesn't hurt hostas at all, at least in terms of overwintering. Their leaves die but they come right back up in the spring. I've never grown hostas in anything BUT containers! You're in luck. But 145+ hostas??? Wow! That's a huge potting up job. Good luck!

Judith

Thumbnail by revclaus
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

That's a nice 'Francee' you have there Judith. Or looks like Francee from here ....
I've got them all potted now except 24 that remain in the ground - more sun tolerant varieties to see how they do. If they burn, I'll dig 'em & pot those too. I now have 41 at my mother-in-laws house down the street I can visit often & a few I gave to 2 close friends.

So far so good in the shady area. I used scott's potting mix with the water smart stuff mixed in. I used some of the crystal things too so maybe they won't dry out as quick & mixed in a handful of my special humus mix with peat. I am in the garden off & on all day anyway so if they need more drinks during the summer, no big deal.

This is the 1st giant to unfurl ... 'Sagae'. It will need to come out of a pot in another year or 2, but I will enjoy moving it around to show off his yellow tones that are fab!

thanks to everyone for your help in me figuring this out ... I was REALLY worried about potting them, but I think they may be fine.

Thumbnail by 2racingboys

Francee is right. Your Sagae is gorgeous! Wish I still had some shade.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

For the original poster and others. Guacamole in same pot for about 5 years.

Thumbnail by killdawabbit
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Simply gorgeous.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

thank you all ... killdawabbit, your Guac is looking mighty fine in that pot. Nice specimen.

Many of mine are now leafing out ... YAY!!

Here is 'Plantaginea' from a friend ;)

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

'Sagae'

Apparently it is sporting so I may split the two later in the season for a new beginning next year. I am enjoying this one right now :o)

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Guess it's time to get this baby out of the pot, it's taken off like a rocket this spring !!!!!!
Christine

Thumbnail by jasminesmom
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I have only one of mine (noid--first hosta purchased 10+ yrs ago) in the ground. All other named hosta I have are in containers. They seem to like it. I presoak a few of those water retaining crystals and work into the bottom 1/2 of the container when potting up. The only ones I've had to replace tend to be the mini/small plugs I've received from a few co-ops. I think that is my fault for putting them in too large a container when they're so small from being plugs and small again from the natural size of the plant anyway.
I top off the soil each fall as I lose some from hard rains or pots being knocked over--stray cats hanging out in the jungle out back. Will also work in some slow release fertilizer granules in the early spring.

My heuchera are all in containers as well and do fine. I just use garden shears to clips out the dead leaves and gently remove any dead stumps over the years after they are a bit woody. I haven't repotted in years but again, top off the soil if necessary and add compost or slow release fertilizer. The heuchera seem to like to be a bit on the dry side.

Lots of gorgeous hostas ya'll~

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

If you ever feel the need to get rid of some crowding in hosta land, I am willing to take some off yor hands for you. They are lovely.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

After reading this thread I fell much more normal in growing my hostas in containers. as opposed to lazy or indecisive!

A reminder that container grown hosta can be divided and the roots can be trimmed to keep them in bounds.

Most of mine are in 3gal pots about half filled with soil. I leave this much space at top of pot so I can mulch the crowns well for over wintering.. I mulch with willow oak leaves which do not mat down much to prevent crown rot and begin removing mulch little by little as the weather warms up. They get a timed release fertilizer each spring.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Good to know that. Mine are not so good in ground and I have ravenous gopher.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I have never done anything special to my potted Guacamole to overwinter it. Hostas are very hardy. Just sayin'.

I never did anything either and they all came up just fine the following spring. I grew them for ten plus years.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

hmmmm....this has me thinking....I have tried to grow my Hostas in pots, but have lost them each time. I'm wondering if it's because I pulled them in closer to the house and didn't water? How much water do they need in winter while they're leaf-less?

I would love to try it again - and I have a few heurcharas, too! :) Great idea!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Mary, Go to the Bridgewood Gardens web site, or kink to them thru Garden Watch Dog where they are rated in the top five Hosta growers. I used to work for thembefore they relocated to Virginia. Under their "How to grow Hosta" you will find a great description of growing in pots and overwintering. It's the method I follow and have had success with year after year.

If one of you knows how to link or copy here, please feel free to do so as I am clueless...Thanks

Judy

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Mary, Go to the Bridgewood Gardens web site, or link to them thru Garden Watch Dog where they are rated in the top five Hosta growers. I used to work for them before they relocated to Virginia. Under their "How to grow Hosta" you will find a great description of growing in pots and overwintering. It's the method I follow and have had success with year after year.

If one of you knows how to link or copy here, please feel free to do so as I am clueless...Thanks

Judy

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Mary, I just leave mine out in the open and don't water them in the winter. They get just what falls naturally.
All of this said, there could be varieties that wouldn't take well to his kind of treatment. Could be.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2010 12:48 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, I bought a new pot last night. I have always thought that Hosta were really beautiful in pots and I can't wait to try again.

Judy, thank you for the website, I'll check it out. I used to know how to post a link, but haven't tried in a while...but, I did find the link (I think.) http://www.bridgewoodgardens.com/BOOK_CONTAINERS.htm

Killdawabbit, when I brought my pots closer in to the house, they were completely under cover, so got no rain. And then, being winter, I completely forgot that they were out there, probably needing water.

(edited to add correct link - sheesh!)

This message was edited Jul 18, 2010 10:41 AM

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I've done that too. You know what survived with no water in my carport? A spider plant? Who knew.

Manassas, VA(Zone 7b)

What type of pots do you use ? Clay, plastic ? I live in 7b. I would like to move the Hostas on my elevated Deck so that the Dear can't get to them. Jake from Manassas VA.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I only use plastic if I'm overwintering something outdoors. Clay will freeze and crack. I've also got various fiberglass pots and others that come through the winter just fine.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Me too, in the West clay sucks, It burns and freezes plants.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

I, too, use large plastic nursery containers for year round hosta growing. I am constantly on the lookout for large nursery pots being discarded or recycled at curbside.

Once the foliage disappears, hosta are safe from deer until it reappears in Spring.

Will you try to over winter them on the deck,too? Make sure to raise pots enough off of deck surface to allow proper drainage . See the Bridgewood Gardens site mentioned earlier in this thread for other info. Their info is for our zone! Good luck

Oh, move them to deck one or two at a time so deer won't get suspicious and look for their favorites new spot. Remember deer can clear a six foot fence and climb stairs!

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Deer climbing stairs to get at plants. Dang, I don't think even rabbits are that bad. I pity you. :-O

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

CLIMB STAIRS?
I'm lost then.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Ge, Okyo (Jake) wants to know about hostas in pots because he wants to pot up his hostas and put them on his elevated deck to keep the deer from getting to them.

I suggested that putting hosta on a deck might not stop the deer from eating them as deer could jump and climb stairs . Imho, just changing the location of hoata in a yard that deer were already freguenting for their hosta fix would not deter them, nor would stairs or proximity to house. Killdarabbit may disagree with this but if you google "Can a deer climb stairs?" you will find some great stories of deer and stairs.

Ge, hope this puts you back on track.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

coleup, I don't disagree with you at all. I believe it.
There are deer all out in these parts and would you believe after 24 years I've only seen one in my yard? Fortunately my dog chased it off.

The deer chased our beagle/hound mix down the block after stomping his chest. He was dead 6 hours later. I hate deer.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

pirl, that's a joke right? Please tell me that's a joke.

Sadly, it's not a joke. He came home with his lung hanging out and we got him to the hospital ASAP but he died after they operated. The vet told us it didn't look good from the start but there was no way we couldn't try and save him.

Our Joey and his Chicken Dance. If you can't see it, there's a roast chicken on the counter and he went through his chicken dance until I'd break down and give him a piece of chicken.

Thumbnail by pirl
Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Yes, they can jump fences. My sister told me that in Susanville, CA. a bunch of deer jumped over a really high ornamental iron fence and there were many of them harpooned on the fence. Some alive and some dead. They are not bright and will get their food even at their own peril.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2010 9:13 PM

My friend, also in Southold, put up 12' high deer mesh. It was fine for a few years but now the deer just tear it down.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Is Joey the one they killed? That is terribly sad. :-(
Y'all must have some kind of new mutant deer or something. I thought I had heard it all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.