Repotting D. mexicana

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

When I got D. mexicana about a month ago it was in a 10' plastic pot standard shape. The plant just barely fit in that pot, and I wanted to give it room to grow. It initially had 2 vines which after untangling were only about 2 meters max. Well, there was no growth out of them when I got it home so I stopped watering it and started looking for a bigger pot, which I scored today.

Hearing the big problem with these plants is that rot if in too much moisture and only root from the sides, so a wider pot was advisable. While my pot was more normal dimensions I had a plan: half fill it with gravel and have only soil for 6-8" below the plant. Which is what I did.

Taking the plant out of the pot was interesting, as there were only 2 roots coming from the edge and the soil in the pot was quite wet. The plant was shaped like a big disk, flat on the back, roots coming from the edge. A real simple repotting job. A little gravel to cover the top and I was done. Nice job, Rob.

Then I went to carry it up stairs. Ugh. it must weigh 100 lbs with all that rock!

Thumbnail by AnalogDog
Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Nice big plant, congratulations!

Thanks, I hope I can be a good steward. I understand no water until I see growth, right?

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

No water until you see growth.
This is what happens when you over water:

Thumbnail by lakesidecallas
Decatur, GA

Thats a sad situation lakeside. Was it your plant?
Helen

I figured as much. I was going to wait for the growth of a vine, then start watering.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Sorry about your loosing your D. Mexicana Rob. really enjoyed looking at it as was looking forward to see what it looked like with its foliage on it. From what you described when you re-potted it, I think plant was a surface rooter, maybe the rocks you placed around it served like some sort of mulch or water barrier causing the roots to rot and eventually the whole plant, hope you get another one like it since it really looked nice.

Wilfred

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

What a shame to lose such a plant, hope you find another one you like.

Doris

This message was edited Mar 10, 2010 2:51 PM

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Thanks, I was just sick about it.
This plant had a hard year. First when I moved it outdoors last summer I tripped over the vine and ripped it out of the plant- and it was about 15 ft long. I was so happy when it grew a new vine, seemed to be doing just great, and when I moved it indoors I set in among some leafy plants so it would be in the shade- the vine was doing great and I kept watering.... Well, you know the rest. Suddenly one day the vine was dead and when I pulled the pot out the caudex was soft and rotten on one side. I tried to remove the rot, but it was too far advanced.
Ugh, I feel so sick about it, I'm a plant murderer!
I did buy a new one on ebay, it's only about 1/2 inch wide, it'll be a long wait!

Yes Wilfred, very little roots on this plant!
I can also see why they call it the turtle plant- each little piece of the caudex came of individually- like turtle (or tortoise) scutes.

Analogdog, has yours started growing yet? Looks like, from the photo, that there was a green stem that'd been cut off.

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

Lakesidecallas, All the oldtimers tell me that until you have killed several hundred good plants you havn't learned any thing about raising succulents. I beleive it, but it is little comfort when you lose a prize plant. Don

Arlington, TX

The plant looks like you have buried a tortoise! Really nice caudex.
C

Several hundred!!

I let the stem stay on the plant for a good month before I cut it off. But I did cut it off as it had leaves burned by halides and such maladies. No stem has yet replaced it, I will be moving it outside (with a crane) when the weather corporates. Maybe that will get a little growth.

Mmm, I might think I would peeved if my stem were cut, even with burnt leaves. Like, let me go dormant on my own coin. Just a thought.

Good luck with the move!! Don't hurt your back.

No, I wasn't peeved, I was just in the wrong place, under halides and hot on my caudex (I like to be cool and in the shade) and I sent my vine up to find light, and it was good but burning hot, and above there was little light. AD took me home and repotted me putting me in a cool place and is happy for rescuing me and letting me take my time growing a vine. AD is my buddy. especially for the bigger pot!

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

AnalogDog, Very creative and entertaining response. Don

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

very funny, AD!
Oh, I am well over my limit for plant deaths. When I used to go to the Aroid Show and Sale in Miami one of the vendors would always yell at met- ' Susan, very rare- DON'T KILL!" which always got a laugh from the other people buying plants. Every bulb I picked up, he'd yell at me.

Speaking of deaths, sad news, killed my DR....R.I.P.

Thumbnail by lakesidecallas

Too much water.

I watch the soil, especially on the top, caudexes get only a little water when dry, and clay drys out much faster.

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Yes, too much water.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

The soil also looks like it needed more drainage material too.

Clay? Not good for DRs. The roots need air. Someone put theirs in rather fluffy, stringy store-bought mulch, and got zillions of roots.

"Perfect" drainage, and air.

I'm doing my bit sending DRs to DR Heaven, but learning lots and lots on the way. Only been growing them a year now, but my thinking about potting soil isn't what it used to be.

Air to the roots.

Arlington, TX

I think he meant clay pots not clay soil...or not.
C

Yah, probably pot.

Providence, RI

Mine is tiny... I'm hoping it hatches a huge caudex someday... with those cool turtle shell patterns...

Thumbnail by fatcaudex

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.