Does anyone know what this plant/weed is?

Orangeburg, SC

Can someone please help me ID this plant/weed that is running rampant through my flowerbed? I feel that anything proliferating like this during this time of the year must be a weed. Whatever it is, it's got to go. But I want to know what to do with it first. I posted on Plant ID but haven't gotten any response.

Thumbnail by Deebie
Claremore, OK

It looks similar to something I have called Dame's Rocket. It comes up all over the place, if it finds a spot where it is happy.

Go to plant files and type in Dame's Rocket. You'll have to open the first selection then go to look at all 32 photos and one photo is of the plant when it is small.

I've posted a photo of the purple one I have blooming with a poppy. It also comes in white. You could always keep one and see how it turns out.

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Orangeburg, SC

No, I don't think they are the same plants. The leaves on my plant seem to be more narrow and possibly glossier than the other . I do want to WS some Dame's Rocket soon (I know that time is running out), but I haven't planted any just yet. Maybe this was a hitch hicker of some sort. Thanks for your help.

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Here is is my picture of Hesperis matronalis

http://www.millettephotomedia.com/en/pics/745_hesperis_matronalis_(sweet_rocket)_0493.html

Orangeburg, SC

Reggie, I can't get the link to open.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Could be an Oenothera lamarckiana (common evening primrose). It's a biennial and very prolific, even considered invasive in some parts. I have a few up here, but they're barely a nuisance. Anyway, just a guess... far from sure.

Orangeburg, SC

Both suggested plants are invasive in my area. So, I'll pot a couple and compost the others. Thanks everyone for your help.

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

It was on my website http://www.millettephotomedia.com.

But I will attach the image with this message.

Reggie D. Millette

Thumbnail by Reggietheclown
Morrisville, PA(Zone 6a)

Deebie, I don't think that's a Dame's Rocket or evening primrose, both of which volunteer very nicely here in SE Pennsylvania. The Dame's Rocket basal leaves aren't serrated (yours have a very slight serration). Evening primrose are more serrated, but don't form a basal rosette as you see there. Except for the slight serrations, it reminds me of a daisy fleabane, which is also very invasive in this area. Same family as Dame's Rocket, so you should find a tap root.

Since you have so much of it, I agree that you should remove it. If you decide to let one sample grow, be sure to deadhead it before the flower drops more seed.

Will

Orangeburg, SC

Thanks for your help, Will. The plant doesn't appear to have a tap root. I did have some shasta daisies nearby, but that doesn't appear to be what it is. I also had some obedient plants nearby. Can that possibly be what it is?

Deborah

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6a)

As I remember, obedience doesn't form a basal rosette, and the leaves are a long narrow lance. The lack of a tap root puts your plant back into the mystery category. It's probably an opportunistic weed. We go through phases in this area: a few years ago, the invasion of choice was purslane. For the past 2 or 3, it's been Pennsylvania Bittercress.

Now that I've said that, I just went back to my book and checked Dame's Rocket. It does have a slightly serrated leaf, so maybe you should just cultivate one of those....

Will

Orangeburg, SC

Thanks, Will and Reggie. Reggie feels strongly that it's Dames Rocket. After looking at his photos, I'm included to agree. If it is, I'd like to keep a few. I think I'll just pot up the others to give away (with a warning about it's invasiveness), once I'm sure of it's identity. I'm a newbie to gardening and have so much to learn.

For example, last year I found a clump of plants that I'd forgotten to label the year before. The plants started growing tall like a weed and I had no idea what it was. I don't particularly care for tall plants and this one was 3 1/2 ft. by midsummer and hadn't bloomed as yet. What's worse, I had 3 clumps of 3 of these weedy looking plants. I was afraid to cut them back as it would delay flowering. (This is before I joined DG and learned to post photos for ID). I gave away 2 of the groups of plants to a friend who loves wildflowers. Late in the summer, it bloomed (at 4 1/2 ft.) and turned out to be black and blue salvias that I'd purchased late in the season the previous year for $1 a qt. size pot. Because of these plants, I now had more hummingbirds in my yard than I'd ever had. I also had DGers from the B&B forum contacting me asking for plants and/or cuttings in trade. I learned, belately that It's a highly coveted plant. I can still kick myself for giving the others away.

I also learned on this website about nurseries using growth retartants to keep the plants short. I am blessed to have very fertile loam, but everything seems to grow larger than the plant labels suggest. I will cut the salvias back this year for shorter, fuller plants and enjoy the blooms and hummers.

Deb

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have the same plant in one of my flower beds this year. It's like one pops up right next to another and another and another! I think it's a weed. I never have that luck with flowers! It's a flat rosette. It looks to me like it's from the dandelion family. When I dig it up, it doesn't have a long tap root like Dandelions though.
My husband sprayed them with Round UP about a week ago. Since then, we have had two gentle rains. They're are loving it.
Deb, we probably have all had experiences with gardening that one could kick themselves later!
Just chalk it up to a learning experience.
Perhaps when the rains quit, I can take a picture of my weed. I'd really like to know what the heck it is.

Orangeburg, SC

Yep, it appears to be an opportunistic weed. Mine acts exactly the way you described and it's very vigorous. Together we await its identity.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Here's a picture of the weed.

Thumbnail by birder17
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

And another

Thumbnail by birder17
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

The roots.

Thumbnail by birder17
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

The leaf

Thumbnail by birder17
Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Even though I initially thought it was the wild biennial variety of Evening Primrose, further research has also led me to believe it's Dame's Rocket. A beautifully flowering plant btw. In fact I have some seeds I purchased, and later found out that it's prohibited in Massachusetts.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I am going to "pot" one up and see what happens. I think I may take it to my nursery and see if they can id it. I am just having a hard time believing it is dame's rocket.
I like dame's rocket and do not have it in my garden nor have I seen it in the neighbor's gardens. That would be nice if it were dame's rocket!
Does anyone know of a good book to id weeds?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.