easy weekend gardener volume 3

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

I need a plant ID, the Easy Weekend Gardener volume 3 by Garden Gate has a beautiful foliage plant on page 34. It is on the same page as the balloon flower. It has a rosy colored foliage, I have been told by a couple of gardeners that it is a sedum but the stem looks too large for a sedum, and I think I see a thorn. Thanks, Sharon

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Sharon, I dont have that magazine, but I dont think I have ever seen a sedum with a thorn. Have you tried plant files?
I am looking at the sedums in plant files, wow, I didnt know there were that many.

chris

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

No I haven't tried plant files bc I don't know where to begin. I really don't think it is a sedum. The stem is too large and the thorn is fairly obvious. I really think it is a barberry or some variety of a small shrub, the leaves are small and very rosy colored. I have e-mailed the publishers of Garden Gate, maybe they will get back with me before very long. thanks, Sharon

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

One of the Master Gardeners of Coffee County ID'ed this plant as a Barberry. Thanks for your help. Sharon

Thumbnail by Kgb4013
Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Wow, Sharon - is that your pond? It's gorgeous!! Samantha

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

Yes, this is ours. It is approv. 30000 gallons. I have several koi and goldfish. All the plants are in my greenhouse right now. I have kept them inside this year so that they will be lush and beautiful when I put them out in April.
Have you heard from Susan lately? Would still like to meet you two for lunch one day when you can spare the time.

Thumbnail by Kgb4013
Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

No, actually - I haven't talked to her since just before Christmas. She dropped out of our Bible Study - it was too difficult for her to keep up with. Heck - it's about too difficult for me to keep up with! My daughter just got married on Feb 20th, so I have been consumed with that, but am s-l-o-w-l-y getting back to my normal! I would love to grab her & meet you for lunch! I am going to Nashville, TN to visit my other kids & my grandson next Sunday - Friday (not tomorrow), then again over Easter. But any other time - just let me know!! I need to go check out her tomatoes, too! She is the BEST tomato farmer!! I don't seem to be able to out-compete the hornworms & stinkbugs! Samantha

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

Anytime around the first or second week of April will be good for me, I'll be making my rounds to Southern Gardens and a couple more nurseries in Valdosta. I can't think of their names right now. Congratulations on getting a son-in-law. I can't grow tomatoes either, mine always make vines. I may try a patio tomato this year. Just let me know when we can all get together.

Thumbnail by Kgb4013
Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

OK - I'll cal Susan & get her schedule. Is there a particular day of the week that is best or worst for you? I work at the Pregnancy Support Clinic on Mondays, & Thursday mornings have Bible Study, but still could do lunch & afternoon, so I guess only Mondays are out for me. Samantha

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

Thursdays are not good for me if we can arrange other plans, if not I can make it work. Sharon

Thumbnail by Kgb4013
Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

OK - Mondays and Thursdays are out - I'll check with Susan & see! Is that last picture fennel? Do you use it, or just grow it for the butterflies? Samantha

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

I grow lots of bronze fennel for the butterflies. It smells wonderful and is truly a gorgeous plant. I have one for Susan, would you like one also? I have some bronze extra and I have the green fennel seeds sowed. I can bring one with me when I meet you'll for lunch. I thought with the scent and the texture that Susan would enjoy this plant. I don't cook a lot so I have never tried to cook with it, but I know that you could, Sharon

Thumbnail by Kgb4013
Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

WOW - I would love one - THANK YOU! How big does it get? I did not call Susan today - worked at PSC, then consult at oral surgeon's, then got ready for company, then 11 people over for pizza. I will shoot her a quick email - she stays up late & I am ready for bed! I'll keep you posted. Thanks again. Samantha

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

The first year that I grew fennel it got about knee high and I doubt that I could have reached around it. It was in the shade and I watered it regularly. I also have canna lillies extra, they are Bengal Tiger, they have variegated foliage and orange blossoms. Let me know if you have a place for them, I need to thin them. Sharon

Thumbnail by Kgb4013
Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

WOW, Sharon - your place is gorgeous!! After 8 years, I am STILL just getting started! A few things have grown enough to give me some sense of the "Big Picture", but, I have SO many ideas!! However, I do have a large yard, so realize that it will take time ( & a lot more work) to get it lookin LUSH!! Actually, I am not a fan of cannas - they are pretty, but had a not-so-great experience with them in Charlotte, NC, & have not been a big fan since. Thanks so much for the offer, though. I am going to plant some moonflower seeds I have had soaking. If they actually grow, I will have some to share - would you like one? Samantha

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

Yes, I will try one. Is it a vine? I understand about the cannas, they seem to overwhelm. Please remind me to bring the fennels for you and Susan. Sharon

Thumbnail by Kgb4013
Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Yes, like a Morning glory, but not invasive. Blooms open at night, are white, & have a nice scent. Annual. I'll try - I have to write notes about everything! My daughter laughs at me, cause I have sticky notes everywhere to remind me to do things! Samantha

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

I have to write notes also. Have you spoken with Susan yet? Sharon

Thumbnail by Kgb4013
Decatur, GA

Sharon,
Excuse me for intruding but you have your air plant planted and it is thriving. Would you recommend I put mine a sphagnum moss?
Thanks,
Helen

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

You certainly are not intruding. If you put it in spagnum moss make sure it doesn't stay wet. I only mist my air plants with a spray bottle. The moss is mostly for aesthical purposes. I hope I spelled that correctly. Do you have many air plants? The medusa is my favorite. Do you have any pics to share? Sharon

Thumbnail by Kgb4013
Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

I have a few that are mounted on wood and hang from the rafters in my greenhouse. I also have a couple of small ones that I want to mount but fishing line is not working on them, have you ever used glue? Sharon

Thumbnail by Kgb4013
Decatur, GA

I haven't kept to many in the past. But the ones I have had all dried out after awhile. Possibly from neglect. I did recently get one that looks like your first picture. Its a medusa? I like those the best too. I have a little hanging pot thats empty. I think I will use to display my recent purchase. I will get a pic and get back here with it soon.
Helen

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

A spray bottle works very well for me. I have read some where that you can mix a small amount of liquid fertilizer with the water to use in the summer months. I used some once, but I kept the mix very light. I was scared they would burn easily. Sharon

Thumbnail by Kgb4013

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.