COLEUS FOR 2010 - SOW IT BEGINS

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, I have a few seed paks staring me in the face.. dare I sow them dare I not? I think I will wait.

Looks like the big plants need cutting back so I guess I will start my year with doing cuttings.

Got a lot of cuttings too, but its too cold to offer any out, they would frost in the mail for sure so perish the thought!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Snip, dip and poke! Heres more some new cuttings...

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Is that a seedling in the first pick? It's very pretty.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

That was a seedling, its a Wizard to which the color was very amazing. Yours is very lovely too! Very similiar!

Well, I just finished setting the last coleus cutting in a flat. Looks like I got 2+ new flats started..

Now I have to go do my impatiens...been doing the royal clean up, water and prune gig the last two days of all my houseplants...OY, I am running our of room for newbs!

C'mon SPRING WEATHER! I wanna throw them out to my GPS already! But it s to dang cold yet! Had a frost last night, its only mid 30's. They are talking 50's soon though..

Flat #1

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Flat #2

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Those are all wonderful

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks ge!

I at least will have a jump on the coleus for this year and impatiens.

I have to start Rainbow yet. Im short on space!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Heres the seed for Rainbow... they look pretty colorful! You just have to love coleus for the varieties!

~(*v*)~

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I agree. Not only the variety but many have different colors depending on where they are growing and how much sun and shade they get.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I started a small flat of coleus cuttings and they were doing good until I put them down on top of the dryer for a minute while I moved things around. The vibration shimmied it right off and they landed face down. I was able to save some.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

ooooh no! Thats sad!

This is one of my Kongs! Man the size on the leaves! Just stunning!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

That one is stunning!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

It was my first Kong and I just cannot get over how big and beautiful it was last year. I hope I can find a newb in a diffferent color!

Heres another shot!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I love the green/purple combo coleus. They are so easy to combine with the regular green plants.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

love that dark Kong!!!.. I grew quite a few this year.. but don't think I have that one.. all my green kongs were slug food last year.. hope this year goes better with those

Loretta if you need some more babies let me know.. I will have plenty to share

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

my babies today

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

tray 1 Feb & March

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

sorry put the newest at the top on this one #2

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

#3 newest at the bottom

Thumbnail by onewish1
Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Wow! They look great.

Looking great all!!!
Lorine

Ladson, SC

Sorry mess my message up. Sent before I could correct, my hands shake because I was allergic to medicine.

Maryland Heights, MO(Zone 6a)

Do you all have green houses? I'm new to gardening but I read on all forums people doing seeds however I have no idea how to do them. Is there a website that shows you? I think maybe I might be too lazy and it is easier to go to nursery in spring and buy several.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

coleus seeds are easy.. sprinkle them on starter... I use a spray bottle to make sure they have contact.. and cover them with plastic.. or a dome ... just that easy

I'm one of those visual people. I love plants but never did the seed thing. I have no idea what a starter is. Is there a book I can purchase?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

how is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ9i4yUkXPQ

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FExeqYZhmVs

Thanks

You do need the patience of Job to grow coleus from seed. They almost all germinate quickly and then grow very slowly.
I saw this thread up in the "Sticky" at the top of this forum. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/596774/
I have a friend that has grown 100s of coleus from cuttings and says they root in 10 days.
Best of luck.
CC

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yes the cuttings are quick to be rewarding

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Here in Las Vegas, during the summer, I can cut off a piece, just gently place it in the soil and within days it has established roots and taken off.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

sometimes when I pinch my plants.. I toss them in the garden and they root

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm living in the jungle

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

that's a good thing!!!

Does any one have cuttings of India Frills? I lost mine to the cold. I love that one.
Lorine

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Im behind on cuttings..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.