Hellebores

River Vale, NJ

I planted some last spring, and none of them have bloomed. Granted, we're now buried in snow so there's nothing to see. But even before all the snow, I barely saw any signs of new life. The leaves are there but definitely weathered. I thought I saw a new shoot/bud coming up, but after the previous snowstorm (when that one melted), everything looked pretty ragged again.

I wonder if my soil is too acidic? Or maybe the plants are just too new.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

This message was edited Mar 1, 2010 6:10 PM

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Mine took several years to bloom, but was a little plant to begin with so it needed time to get some good roots. It does die back unless the snow protects it and does not bloom up here until early-mid april. Give it some time and if you think the soil is too acidic check the ph to be sure then you can add a little lime maybe.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yes it does take a couple seasons to bloom. I have really acidic soil and mine are doing great.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I concur, they take awhile to bloom if you bought young plants. They can take up to 5 years to bloom from seed. You have to be patient. If you want ones that will bloom soon, you need to buy them in bloom, that way you know they're of blooming size. I have several and I love them all. Mine bloom beginning in late March. If you bought the Christmas Rose type, they will bloom in December.

Karen

This one is 'Ivory Prince'

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

And here is the 'Southern Belles Strain'

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the one seed I tried and failed... would have taken 7 years to mature .. don't remember which one now.. but did 3 months in the fridge 3 months out ... in out in out.. for a year and a half.. and gave up and tossed them out in the garden

love the southern belles

River Vale, NJ

Thanks, everyone. It's good to know what I might expect instead of just guessing.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Allison, I don't know if I would be any more patient than you with having to do that kind of stratification on hellebore seeds. I think I would just sow them in the garden and let them take their chances. I imagine they would come up eventually, even if it took several years to do so.

Karen

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

they were tossed out 3 years ago.. we will see

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

You'll have to let me know if you ever get anything from them.

Karen

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

hopefully I won't pull them thinking they are weeds... I am good like that

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL! I know what you mean!

Karen

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Those things take forever to bloom, mine took 3yrs, not really something to 'write home about' when the finally bloom 12" above ground. I rate them 2 on a 1-10 scale...

River Vale, NJ

Oh boy, for the price you'd hope for a bigger (and earlier) impact.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I think that's why they're so pricey, cause it takes a long time to grow them to blooming size. If you want blooms, buy one that's blooming size. They are more money, though in some cases the baby ones are just as much, so it's better to get one in bloom. The doubles are my favorites, and they're coming out with more nice ones all the time.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.