March 2010

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Spring is coming around soon this month...

Sorry for the month of February 2010 which I was in injury last month so I need a whole month rest for my injury...

Pansy still made thru the winter...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I just start doing for starting seeds last month...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Rusty~ hope you are feeling much better and happy to see that you have March's thread started. Nice pansy cheering that Spring is definitely coming!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

My greenhouse at work is gonna be up here in a couple weeks or so. That's a major sign of spring right there! LOL.

Rusty, your pansy looks good!!

Pepper~ what plans do you have for your greenhouse?

Gravois Mills, MO

I hope your right about spring. This has been a long hard winter for me. We have had thin sheet ice on most of the gravois arm of the lake nearly every morning and the dock deicers have been going for over a month.

Just the usual stuff. I don't get to order the plants though I do pass on my customer's suggestions to my boss. For sure there will be pansies, tomatoes, peppers, different herbs, and some other veggies, petunias, osteporatum- I know, it's spelled wrong lol-begonias, gerber daisies, and other annuals. We also do alot of perennials, knockout roses, hostas, kimberly queen ferns, containers already made up, soil, mulch, and inside the store some seeds. I tried last year to get some clematis in but the wholesalers we use apparently don't have them so he doesn't order them. We also will have mandevilla.

Sounds quite nice and fun...I'm currently trying to germinate some pansy seeds indoors...very frustrating endeavor as in the past, I've only had a few to germinate from the many seeds sown indoors. When I wintersow the pansy seeds, I have a much higher germination rate but by the time they are ready to plant out, then the heat comes too soon and zaps them. Soa long story short, I will buy some pansy bedding plants for sure from somebody's greenhouse! LOL!

LOL. I've gotten to the point where I throw my seeds outside where I want them and if they don't germinate in a week or two I put another layer of something else down til something comes up.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, JuJu just got her spray already today and she is so sleepy from the surgery...

Here's Ju

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Awww...poor girl. She'll be up and at it in no time at all though.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It said on front of the DG's homepage forum:

DavesGarden will be offline Thursday 3/4 starting at 10:00am PST(1:00pm EST) for a server migration for about 3 hours. We apologize for the inconvenience that this may cause.

Where is everybody??

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Rusty, I hope you weren't hurt bad and are on the mend. Has your pansy opened yet? I love pansies. You've really been busy sowing seeds. I think I'm going to do peppers and eggplant late this week or early the next. I brought all the pots and lights into the house earlier this week. I hope JuJu is up and around too!

Pepper, I envy your job!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Red pansies...

This message was edited Mar 8, 2010 4:59 PM

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Purple pansies...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

[quote="billyporter"]Rusty, I hope you weren't hurt bad and are on the mend.

I'm already hurt now that the cab business is closed up on April 1... Oh! I was so disappointing with them for business that one of the car got fire which it was carb. so I know who did fixed it...
as I am on the mend of my ankle (twist my ankle 5 times)...

I try my best to get business for myself as farmer market I hope I make more sow the seeds tomatoes...

My job has perks but it has downsides too. lol.

Rusty, take it easy and don't overdo!! Good luck with the farmer's market!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Rusty, I hope your ankle is ok. That is not a good injury. Sorry about the cab business too. It's a tough life anymore. I will pray for your seedlings. When a door closes, God opens another one. Looks like this door takes you outside, LOL! Take care of yourself!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, That what I'm doing... Hope is working out for myself...

As I remember that Leaflady's RU yrs ago and she gave me some plastic pots and pot trays so after that I clean out my garden shed and found it then I gonna wash it up good and sow some tomatoes seeds... Also, I plan for make raised bed for sow seeds...

I hope Ju won't bother my garden as she damage my elephant garlic's leaves off (she eat and rip like chopping up the leaves!) lol... So, I thinking myself that I gonna put some picked fences to keep my dogs out of my garden...

This Moon Flower that seeds from Dellrose I got from her and sow seeds:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

WHEW! I thought I had been left behind for a minute!....Nice to see the pansy blooms! My indoor starts of pansy seeds are still a no show, wished they would sell pansies earlier here...last year I had to drive to Kansas City to get pansies at the end of April, otherwise the Big Box sells them in May. I have to remind myself every year that I'm not in Pacific Northwest anymore, thus I can't buy my pansies in February....

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I get pansies in October from the store last year and plant it with 60 crocus pop up now for 2 weeks ago same time I sow the seeds... Pansies is plant front yard with bulbs...
Also, tulips pop-up in Iris's bed...

Thanks Rusty! Guess I'll have to start planting pansies in the Fall for earler Spring blooms.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

OK last fall I did not dig up my EE or my Canna's. They are on the south side of the house with mulch. Do you think they will come back?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Rusty, you have a green thumb going there :o)

Garden6, I was smiling and saying to myself, "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."

Rusty, we're going to have to see those crocus when they bloom!

Allenme79, I know they wouldn't for me, but I have had small glad bulblets survive and grow the next spring. Crossing my fingers for you.

You're right Billy....if I only had a penny for each gardening success I took for granted while living in the Pacific Northwest...well let's just say Toto and I would have our own chaffeured limo to visit you in Iowa! LOL!

Here hoping those elephant ears come back for you as well...on a good note...some of my canna tubers survived the winter 2 years ago...they too were mulched but on the southwest of my house....

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hi all,
Hey Rusty, your greenhouse is like mine, only I don't have a place for mine yet, its outside..lol
Get well soon Rusty!
I like Pansies too, one of my 3 seed packets is Pansies, hope they turn out as pretty as yours.
I have big plans for the Pansies this year.
Heres a photo of my greenhouse a while back..lol The last of those 2 succulents (Euphorbia?) is gone as of this Winter, I had to store the one on the right in an un-heated garage and its all flopped over now. I made some milky cuttings of them and gave them away at the Fall RU 08', wonder if any are still going?

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Garden6, LOL! I've never left my zone. Heck, I never left my town.

Shortleaf, that is a strange looking plant!

Yeah Billy, it IS a strange looking plant, thats why it was so neat! : )
I think its the African Milk tree - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57020/ It makes an interesting plant anyway. I need to get a cutting from my friend or my Aunt, they both got cuttings from me! : )
They say the milky sap inside is poisonous, well they say the whole plant is poisonous. It is on the poisonous to pets list, and there is multiple cats here, so my plant loses! Actually, a bunch of my house-plants lost that battle in the garage, but my Aloe Vera might have pulled thru in the garage and possibly my Snake Plant. My Corn Plant didn't fare so well either. I know my purple Wandering Jew did, that plant can't be killed..lol I love that thing! I got a cutting of that plant but a variety called 'Hotpink' Setcreasea, from AuntB I think, last Fall and I'm looking forward to it filling out.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Shortleaf, I gave up on all houseplants long ago. I ran out of room and just gave all of them to SIL. The only thing I kept was aloe vera and the cats destroyed that. Even tho it was up high and there wasn't any way to climb up. I think someone jumped. At least you have a garage you can keep the tougher ones in.

Hehe..
Billy, I tried to give mine away, but they were orphaned! I even said all I wanted for Christmas was a place to store my houseplants at their houses. Not a good response to that, so I'm afraid the plants got the short end of that deal.
One good thing about it I guess, some of my better pots for houseplants will be available!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Laughing, but saying poor houseplants! Survival of the fittest always wins. I sometime miss having some of the older common plants, and liked my ficus, but it dropped leaves all the time and I gave it to her too. I used the aloe vera and need to replace it.

My houseplants die all the time. My grandma gives us new wandering jew plants every year saying that it's impossible to kill them. Well...we have killed more than I can count. lol. And she puts the green, varigated and purple all together. Don't put the purple one with the others cause it's not as strong as the green types. I told her the purples die first so she gave me more. LOL. Now the greenies are doing well but the purples are pretty much gone. Fine by me! LOL. I've killed barrel cactus, aloe, and so many more.

Allan, since we had a hard winter I honestly don't know if you cannas or EE will have made it. Hopefully they did!!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's my old 7 yrs old Euphorbia ammak and it grew from 12 inches to now 29 inches also it still same pot... I brought this plant from Southern California when I move here...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, we can grow them outside, just not in, LOL!

Wow Rusty!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's the crocus bloom today...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Another more crocus...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

You can't get much more Royal Purple than that! Gorgeous!

Thanks for the gorgeous crocus blooms....yeah Spring is near!!!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It grow more crocus coming up after the storm...

White

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.