Cold season crops

Dalton, GA(Zone 7b)

I want to plant beets, snow peas, lettuce, and spinach from seed. The seed packets say to plant in March, but it has been especially cold this year and we are expecting snow again Tuesday. When is the best time to plant--too early and cold and I'm afraid they won't come up; too late and they won't make before it gets too hot. Should I start everything but the beets indoors and then rely on the fact that they can take a frost once up?

thanks!
Becky

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

I direct sowed my peas on 2/22. Am planting lettuce tomorrow. I didn't have any spinach, but if I had, I would have planted it out on the 15th. Don't know about beets.

ants

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Peas went in on 3/28 and I've continued to sow lettuces and radishes from then until last week. This is in the N. GA. garden. I've not grown spinach in a few years 'cause it's a pain to clean and has a such a short season before it bolts. I replaced it with chard which lasts all summer. We also grow kale, collards and mustard. Mustards grow very quickly and can start being harvested about three weeks after planting. I have three kinds of beets and they also went in on 3/28. We are able to harvest beet greens when we thin, beets well into summer and snow or snap peas through mid-June. FYI, young vines under 6" can be pulled when you thin and used for soups or steamed. They are delicious and taste just like the peas! You'll see them in the Asian markets here in Atlanta.
Laurel

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.