Fertilizing star magnolias

Rockford, IL

I'm looking into how to fertilize a star magnolia tree. Apparently it's supposed to be done late winter, early spring (as in, now) with an acidic fertilizer. I'd prefer a slow release granular type. What should I use?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I usually use those big tree spikes, but I don't know if that is the best to use.

Dahlonega, GA

I have several different mags , and keep a big barrel of water with manure in it for "tea". I have two pink star mags . The tea works fine for me ,I give them a bucketful a coupla times a year .digger

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Generally, it is worthwhile to have a soil test performed to tell you what your current conditions are (pH, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and organic percentage). Then, you have a good idea of what to apply. The cooperative extension service office in your county is the place to have this done. They can also interpret the results for you and recommend appropriate soil amendments and fertilizers.

Or you can go it blind - millions have gone before you.

For slow release fertilizers, there are more than a few out there. Osmocote is one common brand, and I usually apply the balanced 14-14-14 with a six month effective release period.

It is difficult to give "one size fits all" advice when little is known of existing conditions. Low rates at low concentrations won't hurt anything, but you may simply be throwing money on the ground unnecessarily.

Dahlonega, GA

Good advice ! digger

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.